Breaking in a Brooks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My brooks Flyer has arrived. Happiness reigns.

Next question: is it wise to put it on the bike ready for a hopefully 100k ride on Wednesday?

On the one hand I don't have a Brooks shaped backside, but on the other my last saddle broke in way faster as soon as I started making longer rides.

It's also pretty cold right now, so the leather will be harder, but then I'll warm it up as I ride...

Any thoughts or experiences?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I don’t know if they need breaking in, I have two different Brooks saddles and my experience is that on the bikes they are on they were comfortable from the start. However I did have one on my hybrid for a while and it was the most awful fecking thing ever and I got rid of it, though it was a Swift so probably the wrong saddle for the type of bike.

I realise that having typed this it’s not very helpful. Soz.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Excellent idea, assuming it's not too wet.
Note that Brooks used to (may still) not recommend their saddles for mudguardless rding in the rain.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I own two Brooks and a Spa copy.

Like Carl, I think breaking in of a Brooks is over-stated.

Debuting any new saddle on a long ride is a risk, but I don't think doing that with a Brooks is any greater risk.

As Ian alludes to, don't forget to smear the proofing stuff on the underside.

Arguably, that's more important because the top side is sealed.

Debuting any new saddle on a long ride is a risk, but I don't think doing that with a Brooks is any greater risk.

As Ian alludes to, don't forget to smear the proofing stuff on the underside.

Do you mean I should smear proofhide underneath, before I use it?

Looking at these answers I reckon it would be less of a risk if I have a shorter trial run tomorrow. Life is hard.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No need before you use it - unless it's absolutely chucking it down and you have no mudguards.

Like most new things, I was keen on proofing it when I first got a Brooks, but I haven't done it for a year or two.

My view is it's far from critical.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Had it 13 years, still looks good and very comfy

That is the main Brooks benefit - longevity.

If you get on with it, you will have a comfy saddle for life.

One of my most comfy saddles was a Vavert synthetic one.

It fell apart after a few years, and was no longer made when I wanted a replacement.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My own B17 is nearing 2 years old and was fairly comfy from out of the box.
The Brooks manual said to put the little proofide they supplied on straight away and so I did. No idea if it did anything noticeable.
It's had numerous coatings since as I've heard it can speed up the breaking in process but I've yet to tighten the tension bolt.
It's also been out in the rain several times. It hasn't died from that. I think some people are drama queens when it comes to leather saddles vulnerabilities in the wet.

Gunk

Guru
I don’t know if they need breaking in, I have two different Brooks saddles and my experience is that on the bikes they are on they were comfortable from the start. However I did have one on my hybrid for a while and it was the most awful fecking thing ever and I got rid of it, though it was a Swift so probably the wrong saddle for the type of bike.

I realise that having typed this it’s not very helpful. Soz.

I had a Swift on my old hybrid, it was awful, like you say probably the wrong saddle for the bike.

B417-BA94-2444-4-E1-D-8-C15-C045-DB8-A0-BDF.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I had a similar dilemma with a 2 week old Brooks B17 and a 120 mile bike ride, I bottled it and swapped the saddle for my trusty Charge Spoon which was perfect.
Not worth the risk in my opinion.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The saddle that I had been using was so dam uncomfortable that when I got my B67S I simply put some profide on the saddle Including the underside, put it on my bike and did my usual ride. It was comfortable from the get go and a joy. I have had it for 3 years now and maybe once a year I will put some profide on it and the underside, give it a buff and that's that. I love my Brooks:okay:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Strange things, Brooks saddles, in my experience.

My B17 felt like sitting on a lump of concrete at first. After 50 miles it still felt hard but I had no aches or pains.

3000 miles later I still can't say it's comfortable, but I still have no aches or pains after a 60 mile day.

I wouldn't risk anything unknown on a long ride. Tried and tested for me when it matters.

Top Bottom