Breaking in a Brooks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
There are so many responses I didn't have time to remotely read them all, so I will simply say this: Do only what Brooks recommends, don't listen to anyone else, if you listen to somebody else and that saddle fails Brooks will not warranty it, so again, follow the Brooks instructions.

New instructions for Brooks is NOT to apply Proofide to the underside of the saddle like they did 20 or so years ago, just the top. They use to say apply the Proofide once every 3 months but I think that over softens the leather so I only apply it once a year, in between times I use a neutral colored Kiwi hard wax shoe polish (neutral so it won't stain your shorts), the Kiwi wax will protect the saddle for sweat and rain better than Proofide alone will, I apply it once a month.

Also use a rain cover if you will be using the saddle in the rain.

The other thing is Brooks recommends retensioning the saddle every 3 months by turning the adjustment nut one full turn, nooooooo don't do that! I only adjust mine a quarter of turn and do so about every year after the first 6 months where I was tightening it a quarter of a turn every 3 months. Over tighten and you will ruin the saddle. I haven't even needed to tighten my B17 for 2 years now.

There are so many responses I didn't have time to remotely read them all, so I will simply say this: Do only what Brooks recommends, don't listen to anyone else, if you listen to somebody else and that saddle fails Brooks will not warranty it, so again, follow the Brooks instructions.

New instructions for Brooks is NOT to apply Proofide to the underside of the saddle like they did 20 or so years ago, just the top. They use to say apply the Proofide once every 3 months but I think that over softens the leather so I only apply it once a year, in between times I use a neutral colored Kiwi hard wax shoe polish (neutral so it won't stain your shorts), the Kiwi wax will protect the saddle for sweat and rain better than Proofide alone will, I apply it once a month.

The other thing is Brooks recommends retensioning the saddle every 3 months by turning the adjustment nut one full turn, nooooooo don't do that! I only adjust mine a quarter of turn and do so about every year after the first 6 months where I was tightening it a quarter of a turn every 3 months. Over tighten and you will ruin the saddle. I haven't even needed to tighten my B17 for 2 years now.

Thanks for that. The original saddle turned out to be made of an inferior batch of leather; the new one is much better.

BTW, both saddles came with a sachet of proof hide and instructions to put it on the underside of the saddle before mounting it.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Maybe we've been lucky too: a B17 and B67 were comfortable from the start. So far so good.
The B67 started creaking after a few years, but was easily fixed with a few drops of oil around the tensioner.
A friend had several Brooks saddles stolen in London: seemingly well known to be stolen to order at that time.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Never got on with Brooks. Too hard for me. The canvas versions wear quickly, and if not sanded down, wear holes in shorts. Gone over to Berthoud. Very spendy but so comfy from the off. No need to break in. Neet’s foot oil is pretty good for leather.

jay clock

Massive member

I am confused - do only what Brooks say but you then recommend Kiwi shoe polish which is NOT recommended by Brooks?

To add my experience to the thread.

Bought my first Brooks, a B17, a few months ago and installed on my Gravel bike. Due to concerns of the underside getting wet, I had liberally coated in proofide, using a cotton bud to get into the gaps where rails are affixed. I will be installing mudguards, so haven't re-applied since.

The saddle was hard and uncomfortable for what I would say was the first 300 KMs or so. And then it wasn't! I can now ride 20, 30 or more KMs and the backside has no complaints.

I was religiously applying proofide weekly at first. But have now left it. Needed to tension the bolt slightly, as the saddle started to creak, if I pedalled hard. All good now though.

In summary, this is the most comfortable saddle I have had on my modern bikes!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My tensioning bolt just sheared off!
Well, this is going surprisingly well. I contacted Brooks via a pro forma email, telling them about my sheared bolt. I didn't have a receipt or guarantee and could not recall where my wife bought it. I could only say that it would have been bought online less than two years ago. Straight away they sent me a replacement bolt in the post.

They did warn me that it might be difficult to fit as they use compressed air in the process. Sure enough, although I could see how to assemble it, actually fitting the thing was beyond me, not having hands like hydraulic press. I told Brooks that I was getting nowhere and had succeeded only in inventing several new compound swear words. I asked whether they had a repair service and offered to pay for a repair. They recently emailed me again to say if I send the saddle back they will repair it free of charge ... which, incidentally, will require them paying return postage. Couldn't be more impressed by the service, even though I had already heard it was legendary.

Well done Brooks Saddles.

Top Bottom