Breaking in a Brooks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's very uncharacteristic to see those marks, I've not seen those on a Brooks before. Might be worth emailing them to get their opinion?

I really don't think it's through wear, the saddle below is I think about 7 years old. You see much, much older ones that look uniform.

This by the way was originally "honey" colour but I applied oil to the underside a few years ago which changed the look to a darker shade, but it made it a little softer and I like the look anyway.

20200122_161841.jpg

It's very uncharacteristic to see those marks, I've not seen those on a Brooks before. Might be worth emailing them to get their opinion?

I really don't think it's through wear, the saddle below is I think about 7 years old. You see much, much older ones that look uniform.

This by the way was originally "honey" colour but I applied oil to the underside a few years ago which changed the look to a darker shade, but it made it a little softer and I like the look anyway.

I've emailed Brooks with my pics. Thing is, I put it on, new, rode on it twice, and then it looked like that, which makes me think there's a problem: my old brooks looks dark like yours, although less uniform.

What oil did you use?

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I said upthread that mine is not scuffed, that is the surface has not been scratched or scraped, but it too lost some colour, almost identically to yours, in the first few weeks. Now after 3000 miles it hasn't changed any further.

So long as the leather isn't damaged I take it to be normal.

I'll take a photo and post it tomorrow.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
All this oiling and messing around. Why not just buy a comfatable saddle in the first place. If its comfatable straight away thats fine it suits you. But if not comfatable straight away its not right for you. Try some other saddle.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
All this oiling and messing around. Why not just buy a comfatable saddle in the first place. If its comfatable straight away thats fine it suits you. But if not comfatable straight away its not right for you. Try some other saddle.
1579771031982.png

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Mine was bought for me as a gift, that's the short answer.

But it's very hard to know which saddle will be comfortable long term though isn't it? Let's face it, it's not like you can go and do a 50 mile test ride on any potential new saddle. All you can do is go off recommendations and other experiences, and some won't work out as well as others. Hence I have about 5 saddles in the garage, some bought used, others new, some better to ride long distance than others.

The thing I find great about Brooks saddles is that (a) they do get better with age and (2) they have real longevity. So I'm not bothered that I've spent a couple of hours over 7 years looking after it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Mine was bought for me as a gift, that's the short answer.

But it's very hard to know which saddle will be comfortable long term though isn't it? Let's face it, it's not like you can go and do a 50 mile test ride on any potential new saddle. All you can do is go off recommendations and other experiences, and some won't work out as well as others. Hence I have about 5 saddles in the garage, some bought used, others new, some better to ride long distance than others.

The thing I find great about Brooks saddles is that (a) they do get better with age and (2) they have real longevity. So I'm not bothered that I've spent a couple of hours over 7 years looking after it.
Both our local bike shops have test saddles you can try. A lot is trial and error but when you find one that suits you stick with it. I found Selle Italia works for me straight out the box. No faffing just get on and ride.:okay:

So here's the Brooks after about 100k, give or take:

View attachment 501635

View attachment 501636

Seems a lot of wear for such a short distance. It's hard to see but the logo area and nose have also been affected. Even my other saddle, currently in use for about a decade, doesn't have that much scuffing.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Postscript to this post:

I contacted Brooks and they said it wasn't normal: the scuffing was all over the saddle by this stage. They've swapped it for a new one, which has the advantage that it will hopefully not scuff as much, but of course means I now need to break it in all over again...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Postscript to this post:

I contacted Brooks and they said it wasn't normal: the scuffing was all over the saddle by this stage. They've swapped it for a new one, which has the advantage that it will hopefully not scuff as much, but of course means I now need to break it in all over again...
Possibly a known 'issue' with a batch of leather, although TBH I like my Brooks to be 'worn in' looking ASAP :becool:

BromptonChrispy

I’ve had two B17s and a Team Pro with copper rivets. Perfectly comfortable straight out of the box, all of em. I’d proofide the underside and I melt a little of it in a teaspoon to run in between the rear metal plate and the leather as I had one that began to squeak a bit! FWIW, when I used a San Marco Rolls saddle, after about 10 km it was awful. I can only think that it was because the Brooks (like a Charge Spoon) is flatter across the sit-bones bit. The Rolls is convex. Good luck 👍

Top Bottom