Breaking in a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What are your thoughts on breaking in a new bike?

There's been quite a lot of tinkering - and learning - to get my latest acquisition where I want it to be.

In no particular order, I have:

Chopped the bars/done some handlebar junk rearranging.

Changed the tyres - complicated by tubeless ready rims with tubes in.

Learned how to disconnect and reconnect a Rohloff hub - simple enough when you know how, but there was some head scratching at the roadside while fixing a puncture.

Changed the choc in the Thudbuster seat post.

Applied Proofride to the Brooks saddle - once I'd worked out which side to slap it on.

Worked out how to use the Suntour Q Loc thru-axle - still not sure I fully grasp that, but the front wheel remains attached to the bicycle so it must be about right.

Then there's the usual ride position tweaking, and generally getting used to the new bike.

Happily, all appears well, I've done several hundred miles which is enough to reveal any insurmountable problems and there are none of those.

I have also been lucky in that the bike arrived properly built, and nothing has gone wrong with it.

Seems to me the process has been nerve wracking at times, and only enjoyable when the end came into sight.

What's your attitude to breaking in a new bike?

Is it part of the fun of having a new bike, or a necessary task to be tolerated?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not had a new bike for years , but normal process for my new to me bike would be

Roughly set bars and saddle height

then ride and adjust to suit with tweaks as and when required

its all part of forming a relationship or bond to your bike

Lozz360

Veteran
Not sure I would use the phrase "breaking in a new bike". Tweaking the contact point positions is certainly a thing until it feels just right.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Learned how to disconnect and reconnect a Rohloff hub - simple enough when you know how, but there was some head scratching at the roadside while fixing a puncture. [...]
What's your attitude to breaking in a new bike? Is it part of the fun of having a new bike, or a necessary task to be tolerated?
It's not a big problem, but allow 10 minutes or so extra on the first ride for stopping to move saddle and bars about - much less if they're quick-release (but then you need longer/extra cable locks).

Why disconnect the hub to fix a puncture? (Use a sticker or sealant if you need a quicker temporary fix.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz33ozlTvdo

si_c

Guru
Got a new bike for commuting to replace my steel pug which has been put to pasture until it's broken chainstays can be repaired. It has required some fettling to fix issues which the bike shop should have ensured didn't arise. On the second ride the front derailleur spun in place causing the chain to come off chipping the large ring in the process. I had to remove the derailleur entirely, re-seat the chain and then re-tension the cable at the side of the road as I didn't have time to push the bike home and get the train. The subsequent day I managed to over-shift off the small sprocket (I'm not used to indexed gears having used friction shifting for the last couple of years), so again I had to stop, fix the chain and continue.

Two things which you would have thought should have been sorted at the shop. It's fortunate that I'm confident enough at fixing mechanical issues that I could resolve these at the side of the road.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
A decent shop should set it up for you right first time IMO. But obviously it depends on what you want from your bike. Personally I expect mine to only need air and oil for thousands of miles between services but I know many love to tinker and add to their bike. I have no doubt this is unchanged since humans started putting shoes on their feet.

Will Spin

Über Member
Last bike I bought from a shop, 18 months ago, rode it away from the shop, haven't needed to do anything to it since other than oil the chain and pump the tyres up.

Joffey

Big Dosser
[QUOTE 4751720, member: 259"]Last new bike I got, I got the bike shop to put the mudguards on, a job I cannot stand.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree and if I need to do it again I will probably get the bike shop to do it!!!

gbb

Legendary Member
Set up ride position etc...and one other thing, strip as much of it apart and apply anti sieze to as many bolts etc as I can.

Not sure I'd bother now but that was when I all year commuted and found one spring the downtube barrelling adjusters were siezed solid and they broke off in the attempt to get them free. Some serious effort went into drilling and tapping the bosses out. I vowed it wouldn't happen again.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My last new bike.... ummmm.... let's see...... oh yes I've had to pump the tyres a few times and apply some lube to the chain. It was well set up by the retailer.

Top Bottom