Breathable, semi waterproof jackets?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, looking for a light ish breathable waterproof-ish jacket for commuting, Autumn + Winter.

Doesn't need to be anything flash. I wear a fleece in spring but want something a bit more windproof really.

Any suggestions?.

Cheers, Keith.

vickster

Legendary Member
Budget?
is this for layering over warm clothes or as a more standalone with a base layer?
Light, waterproof, wind proof, breathable (especially in a waterproof), warm probably doesn’t exist as a single garment. Although the £200+ Gore shake dry does the first 3 with layers if cold.

I’d go to Decathlon or a large LBS and see what might suit

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I normally wear my fleece under a waterproof jacket to take the wind chill off but end up sweating due to the waterproof-ness (if that's even a word!).

So I suppose it would be a replacement for the waterproof jacket, lightweight and breathable.

Budget probably £100 or less but depends really (buy right or buy twice as they say).

Doesn't need to be flash, just reasonably hard wearing.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a big sweaty fat barsteward muscled individual and ive never found any breathable material that was remotely effective.

Which leaves jackets with good venting to achieve the same end. Might be worth a look in Lidl as one of the best lightweight jackets that was windproof, yet still fairly well ventilated when opened up, was actually from there.

Tenkaykev

Guru
+1 for a Merino base layer with a breathable layer on top as suggested by @vickster. I've had quite a few tops over the years, Goretex, Event, Aquadry etc. My favourite is a lightweight OMM jacket, but no matter how good the material, once you start working hard, or the rain gets really heavy then the breathability will be overwhelmed. That's where a good quality Merino base layer will come into its own.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Not sure if these would be worth £100, but at £34, they seem decent value. Bonus for me is that they are very long in the sleeves
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Urban-Luminite-Jacket_125262.htm

TwoStews

I have one of these and it's bloody good. I thought the combination of waterproofing and breathability was a myth, but this jacket manages it for me!

I bought it on sale at 50% off a year or so so and it's been a godsend on very wet and windy commutes.

Top Bottom