Bridleway permission.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Struggled to follow a poorly marked footpath today (on foot, no bike) and was challenged by a farm-labourer type. He seemed helpful enough when i asked the best way on to the road i was trying to reach.

Nope- bloody liar was having me on - according to local authority maps (checked when i got back home). Cheeky git.

Venod

Eh up
I came across my first closed path yesterday, its not a public footpath, but a National Trust permissive path, thay had erected a wooden contraption so it was impossible to negotiate the stile, the iron gate at the side was easy to lift the bike over and climb over.

I don't understand why this path is closed its hardly used by anyone, its a tractor track ie wide for most of its length, I cycled it as I didn't fancy the road detour, I never saw a soul as expected and usual.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Came across this today whilst out, wasn't intending to ride down this particular Bridleway but after seeing this I View attachment 519340

made sure that I did & reported it to the LA
Had a reply from the LA, basically nothing they can do as they cannot travel to look at it, I've replied they surely have photographic evidence so no travel required & they could either ring or email the landowner.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's funny. When I reported fly tipping last week our LA went out to look at it the very next morning (the guy phoned me afterwards, turns out it's a retired Bobby I know from way back).

Tell them South Northants council are visiting such reports without issue, and ask what is their justification for not doing so?

Their duty to ensure the route remains open is a statutory one, and that duty has not been repealed due to the current situation. I appreciate things might take longer due to changes in working practices etc, but they have a legal duty to act. Other organisations with legal obligations, such as trumpton, dibble, and even refuse collection, are still operating largely as normal.

Last edited:

straas

Matt
Fairly sure the gates through arley hall have always said no cycling?

straas

Matt
Just looked on google maps - one end had "footpath only" (the little green sign on that miniature house) and both ends are gated:

1588582505715.png

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
Came across this today whilst out, wasn't intending to ride down this particular Bridleway but after seeing this I
made sure that I did & reported it to the LA

I've noticed quite a few gateways locally have had barrels or farm machinery dumped in front of them, presumably to prevent parking.

I've not seen any signs "closing" paths or bridleways, but I've been sticking to the roads recently - I rode a small section of the Strawberry Line a few weeks ago and got off of it as quickly as possible due to the congestion.

Venod

Eh up
Just looked on google maps - one end had "footpath only" (the little green sign on that miniature house) and both ends are gated:
Is that what the OP is referring to, according to OS maps there no public footpaths or bridleways through the hall, there is a bridleway round it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Had another reply from LA,

"Contacting the landowner is my intention, unfortunately we do not have access to all of that information when working from home so have to find a work-a-round. We will do our best"

Still disappointed it's clearly showing big holes in their procedures

Had another reply from LA,

"Contacting the landowner is my intention, unfortunately we do not have access to all of that information when working from home so have to find a work-a-round. We will do our best"

Still disappointed it's clearly showing big holes in their procedures

or that they don't want to create waves.

Top Bottom