Bridleway permission.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember where @GuyBoden is talking about now. He suggested it as a little diversion on one of my annual Cheshire forum rides. The secluded properties down there look seriously expensive. I think it is a case of some wealthy toffs trying to keep plague-ridden riff-raff away from them!

Do you mean a regular *public* bridleway, with a normal blue sign? (as opposed to a byway, B.o.a.t. , or private track that is opened at owner's discretion, etc ...)
Private tracks or to be more precise WERE called permissive ways. Farmers got paid for allowing them. All funding was cancelled.....I would guess 8 years ago. Around here only 1 farmer closed his permissive paths (the so called I farm for the environment farmer). All the others left there's opened. Waymarkers and maps still there. I assume some allowed cyclist but none around here.

^^^ I dunno, going a bit OT here, but having managed national parks and nature reserves around the South West IME it's very challenging indeed to obtain a long term re-direction, let alone closure of a PROW!
Offhand I can think of 5 redirection around here. All marked in pink writing on a black board. With the original footpath number and the new one.
They put a yellow sign at the start and finish of the footpath. Telling people that there has been an application to move it. If I can remember rightly they have an enquiry with a judge. The person who wants to move the footpath/bridleway generally wins if no one against turns up.
Ordnance survey have to be told about the move. Lots have not been added to ordnance survey maps.
In one area ordnance survey dont have some footpath (not just redirected ones) on the maps but are clearly marked with council waymarkers. Large metal poles with the appropriate waymarkers on.

Last edited:
There is an area near me of open and woodland which has a permissive footpath.This is closed by the owner on two occasions a year Boxing Day and what they call the glorious twelfth for a shoot.As I understand it permissive paths can be closed at any time by the owner of the land.I assume permissive bridelway if there is such a thing would be the same

I believe local authorities have information regarding public rights of way.
The funding was removed from permissive paths years ago in England and a few years later in Wales. They can close them permanently

Jody

Stubborn git
There have been all sorts of tactics used round here in the last few weeks. From residents in the peak district putting anti vandal paint on gates/handles, traps laid on trails, trails damaged, signage ripped down and "official" looking police notices of closure which aren't from the police.

It seems a lot of people are feeling empowered to be their own police force.

. But local footpaths that most of the time only people near by or local enough even know about then no.
If everyone keep each other safe it's fine some are not however playing my the rules which is making everyone turn on each other.
Not strictly true. People drive from the cities to use footpaths. I used get trains from Manchester to various areas around to go walking.
Offhand Clitheroe, Sowerby bridge and ...Can't remember.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I don't know who's worse: the idiots flouting the lockdown (plenty around here) or the NIMBYs taking advantage of the situation to vandalise rights of way. They can all go in the same cell, as far as I'm concerned.

There have been all sorts of tactics used round here in the last few weeks. From residents in the peak district putting anti vandal paint on gates/handles, traps laid on trails, trails damaged, signage ripped down and "official" looking police notices of closure which aren't from the police.

Nobody has tried that on round here. I have heard of farmers telling people off for trespassing. Although I also no one farmer telling someone off for not trespassing. She was dog sitting and was walking the dog. Farmer stopped checked she was local and said she should be walking the dog in his field? I was standing in the entrance to one of his fields, the dog running around in it, saw him driving round the field called her in. He stopped and said leave her be she is enjoying herself. Then punished he me like he does every one he catches trespassing. He talked crap to me for half an hour before letting me go.
The big landowner round here just waived and smiled at me when he drove past me cycling on his land. Lots of locals walk up his private road exercising there dogs.
Looks like I am lucky most of the farmers don't seem to care that much. Come to think of it there's a miserable get farmer who knows everyone uses his woods to cycle/walk as the bridleway next to is in a very bad state all the time. I suspect he might not be happy if he knew I was cutting up all the fallen branches and fallen trees in his woods! At the same time though I do go round cutting the ivy of his big trees. So many trees get pulled down by ivy.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

...and the fact is they don't know - aiui as long as the exercise duration exceeds the duration of travel, all's well.

D

Deleted member 26715

Red are Footpaths, Fushcia are Bridleways, further details can be found at https://www.rowmaps.com/datasets/CH/

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I've not noticed any new signs around here going up. There is quite a good network of footpaths, and I'm relieved to say from a cycling point of view- bridleways too.

What is happening increasingly during all this, despite all the public rights of way available locally, some people are using private field margins for their walks. Off lead dogs emptying themselves in the wheat and barley.

I wish the landowners would be more pro-active in telling them to pi$$ off. It's the worst possible time of year in terms of wildlife disturbance. Ground nesting birds don't stand a chance, and those nesting in previously undisturbed hedges are also at risk.

I put a barn owl box up in a landowners field a few years so back, in a very quiet spot, away from roads and paths, and people and dogs are now regularly strolling past it. I even saw one lot having a picnic under the tree the box is in. That's another season gone.

Joe public doesn't seem to understand any of this or simply doesn't care.

Top Bottom