Bridleway permission.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will be some local busybody. Our local farm just has a notice not to touch the animals or fences/gates and has left the gate open that runs through it's farmyard, which is the sensible approach. Other busy body's put up signs like no cycling. Ignore them. Just check OS Mapping (on line) and it will show you if it's a bridleway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, cross post - use it ! Bloody Arley Hall - stuck up nobbers.

Slioch

Guru
We've got muppets around here putting similar signs up on a quiet country lane (has a mixture of tarmaced and non-tarmaced sections, so isn't much used by vehicles other than the locals) . It's a public highway. There's a few houses/farms along that lane, but all set back from the road so any risk from a passing cyclist/walker is minimal.

But I bet the idiots are still visiting the local supermarkets for their weekly shop though, where they are putting themselves at real risk.

Being an awkward bugger, I'm now riding that lane 3 or 4 times a week, but I haven't been confronted yet.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
There is an area near me of open and woodland which has a permissive footpath.This is closed by the owner on two occasions a year Boxing Day and what they call the glorious twelfth for a shoot.As I understand it permissive paths can be closed at any time by the owner of the land.I assume permissive bridelway if there is such a thing would be the same

I believe local authorities have information regarding public rights of way.

Slioch

Guru
Get orf moy laaaand!

Farmer Palmer.jpg

Venod

Eh up
The main Bridleway runs from the PO then North of the Hall and past The Ashes is this the one that has notices on it, if so ignore them.
1588238118285.png

Ajax Bay

Guru

Unless the law has been updated as I believe it has in Scotland:

A permissive path, permitted path, permitted bridleway or concessionary path is not a public right of way. It is a path clearly signed as a permissive that a landowner allows the public to use. This may be for walkers, riders, cyclists, or any combination. However there is no statutory right of access. Importantly, the landowner can impose conditions on use e.g. no dogs.

If its not signed as permissive legally I think you can ignore it.

D

Deleted member 23692

bear in mind of course that the OS themselves are at great pains to point out that their maps should not be used as evidence of a right of access or a routes definitive status. The most authoritative source is your local councils GIS mapping, which most make available online.
Not strictly correct.. only the Definite Map (and Statement) is legal proof positive, and there is one sealed copy of that per surveying authority. Digital versions and photocopies of the THE map are have no legal standing.

Some authorities have gone full digital, but they are few and far between

Top Bottom