Brifter for front derailleur difficult to use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard.1

Having searched for similar issues it seems this might be not a common issue but hope to get some help. Most people seem to have problems with small hands and braking but don't seem to mention shifting.

I have Tiagra hydraulic 2 x 10 set up and have been trying to adjust to suit me but can't seem to get hoods/bar in such a position to change front gear to big ring comfortably.
Just to confirm there seems nothing wrong with adjustment, on the work stand everything works as it should. When out riding the rear changes with no issue. I also have no issue with changing from big ring to small ring.

My issue is that I find it difficult to push lever enough so it clicks and changes to big ring. The same action on the right shifter takes far less effort and is not a problem. I don't have an issue with braking.

1. Perhaps my hands are too small?
2. Can the distance to push the lever be adjusted?
3. Hoods and bar not adjusted correctly?
4. Do I need to lube the gear cable?

Thanks for any advice.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Have u checked the cable routing is correct? And might be worthwhile fitting a new cable - maybe dragging a bit

Ajax Bay

Guru
1. Perhaps my hands are too small?
2. Can the distance to push the lever be adjusted?
3. Hoods and bar not adjusted correctly?
4. Do I need to lube the gear cable?
1) More likely your hands are a perfectly reasonable size, but maybe a bit weak. The left shifter is often harder.
2) No.
3) There's no such position as bars and hoods 'adjusted correctly'. There are guidelines (eg bit of bar going forward to the hoods about horizontal and the hoods being effectively an extension of that), but it's personal preference and comfort. Don't think it's a relevant issue for shifting (from the hoods).
4) I would slap some grease in the guide channels under the bottom bracket and spray copious GT85/WD40 into the shifter (with the brake applied). Have a cloth beneath the brake lever and give everything a wipe afterwards.
You could also try unscrewing the H screw on the FD a quarter turn (provided that doesn't result in the chain coming off the large chainring on the outside). This may allow the FD to go a bit further than 'needed' (ie through the click) and make the shift snappier, and then it'd click back to the correct index position. But it's a trade off.

Will Spin

Über Member
If you check on shimano's website you can find the dealer manual for your derailleur, use this to check that the cable is routed correctly, and other installation instructions have been followed correctly.

OP
OP
R

Richard.1

Thanks for the advice. It turns out the cable had come out of the rubber channel where it goes under the bottom bracket. This I corrected and also sprayed WD40 into the shifter. It shifts now does but still takes a little bit of effort so I think my left hand is a bit weak. Thanks again everyone.

Top Bottom