Bright front lights at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wolosp

I live in a rural area which has popular routes for cyclists.
I often come across cyclists with front lights adjusted such that they shine horizontally, which can dazzle oncoming traffic. This might be fine in daylight, but IMO it is hazardous at night.
Yesterday evening, I was driving my car along a local unlit road and saw approaching me four very bright lights. This transpired to be a group of four cyclists, riding two abreast, one pair ahead of the other. But their front lights dazzled so much such that I was unsure of where they were on the road. Nor could I see their reflective clothing (if indeed they were wearing reflective clothing), so it was difficult for me to gauge their distance ahead. Can I appeal to fellow cyclists to ensure for their own safety and that of other road-users, that lights are directed towards the road at a reasonable point ahead of the bike and not directed at oncoming traffic. (preparing to be flamed)

Drago

Legendary Member
Can you also appeal to cars to do the same? I don't see why you're singling out cyclists for special mention.

U

User482

While the OP is being very car-centric, he or she does have a point: most bike lights are quite poorly designed for road use, with a simple cone of light rather than a properly-shaped beam. IMO, the best solution is a light compliant with German regulations, which puts the beam where it's needed - on the road.

OP
OP
W

wolosp

Last edited:

cabbieman

I totally agree. It's easier to make out a car with dazzling headlights and they will be coming at you with speed normally whereby a badly positioned bike light will be in your eye level for longer.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm sure other cyclists have on occasion been dazzled by such lights. I know I have.

However, most of the people that sear my retinas - usually by refusing to dip for a mere cyclist - are in motor vehicles, and the inability to judge the vehicles speed and motion is all the more concerning because of the greater speed at which they travel, and their greater ability to kill you should you get it wrong.

Inappropriate use of forward lighting is a problem, and it isn't confined to any one category of road user. I would suggest that, if anything, car drivers are the worst offenders, if only because of their greater numbers.

Cabbieman - you clearly do not understand the mechanism as to how the brain calculates the speed of an object with the eye is observing.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm sure other cyclists have on occasion been dazzled by such lights. I know I have.

However, most of the people that sear my retinas - usually by refusing to dip for a mere cyclist - are in motor vehicles, and the inability to judge the vehicles speed and motion is all the more concerning because of the greater speed at which they travel, and their greater ability to kill you should you get it wrong.

Inappropriate use of forward lighting is a problem, and it isn't confined to any one category of road user. I would suggest that, if anything, car drivers are the worst offenders, if only because of their greater numbers.

Cabbieman - you clearly do not understand the mechanism as to how the brain calculates the speed of an object with the eye is observing.

Car lights can be misused to dazzle but at least they are fitted with a beam pattern that can allow their use without dazzling others. Misaligned headlamps should be picked up in the MOT test, where applicable, although I've still seen too many on the road like that and yes, there are a few chumps who are too slow to flick off the high beam.

You stop 100 cycles and I'll bet you the vast majority will not have lights with a beam pattern designed to avoid dazzle.

In this thread, the OP was dazzled by a few bike lights so his appeal to people to ensure their lights are legal is entirely valid. I mean, where else if not on a cycling forum?!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Drago, I bow to your Guru status, but you appear reluctant to accept any responsibility on behalf of the cyclist..

Do you take responsibility for car drivers that refuse to dip lights then?

OP
OP
W

wolosp

ianrauk; I take responsibility for myself whether behind the wheel, on foot on on my bike.
I'll leave this forum to it's 'holier than thou' inward-looking attitude, and cycle on my merry way without it.
Thank you and goodnight.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ianrauk; I take responsibility for myself whether behind the wheel, on foot on on my bike.
I'll leave this forum to it's 'holier than thou' inward-looking attitude, and cycle on my merry way without it.
Thank you and goodnight.
No that's the easy way out. You want cyclists to take responsibility for other cyclists actions yet you won't take responsibility for your fellow car drivers actions. Double standards don't you think?

OP
OP
W

wolosp

"yet you won't take responsibility for your fellow car drivers actions"

Oh, FFS - read my reply again will you?
"I take responsibility for myself whether behind the wheel, on foot on on my bike."
I didn't ask you to go out and flag down cyclists for me did I? I asked that members of this forum consider their light's set up.

U

User482

"I take responsibility for myself whether behind the wheel, on foot on on my bike."
I didn't ask you to go out and flag down cyclists for me did I? I asked that members of this forum consider their light's set up.
You critized Drago for not accepting responsibility for cyclists, at which point you lost any chance of a sensible discussion.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Thanks, we've considered our lights. Now please direct me to the car owner forums where I might request a similar thing of those that refuse to dip the full beams for me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Nope. You said
but you appear reluctant to accept any responsibility on behalf of the cyclist.

So It seems that you are reluctant to accept any responsibility for car drivers that don't dip their lights.

Top Bottom