Bright front lights at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car driver had to slow down because he/she was unsure of exactly where the cyclists were. Sounds like the cyclists did well and were passed safer than normal by a slower passing car.

Of course the driver was delayed for up to 17 seconds which is the real crime here.

snorri

Legendary Member
. Can I appeal to fellow cyclists to ensure for their own safety and that of other road-users, that lights are directed towards the road at a reasonable point ahead of the bike and not directed at oncoming traffic. (preparing to be flamed)
Wolosp appears to be taking a perfectly reasonable stance.
He is appealing to cyclists who may be unaware of the danger caused to other road users by poorly adjusted lights.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
He is appealing to cyclists who may be unaware of the danger caused to other road users by poorly adjusted lights.
Of which is fair enough. But when he says that cyclists should take responsibility for other cyclists behaviour but is not happy when asked to do the same with his fellow car drivers....Well that is a bit off.

Read the op again. Nowhere mentioned that they were in danger. Just that the driver was inconvenienced and had to take more care. Good.

jarlrmai

Veteran
They did in another, later post.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
While the OP is being very car-centric, he or she does have a point: most bike lights are quite poorly designed for road use, with a simple cone of light rather than a properly-shaped beam. IMO, the best solution is a light compliant with German regulations, which puts the beam where it's needed - on the road.

The Busch and Muller lights on my ebikes throw a defined beam for road use.

They also come with a simple leaflet telling you roughly where to aim the light.

I suspect the lights the OP saw had flood beams, great for night mountain biking, but not much good when there's vehicles coming the other way.

The Busch and Muller lights on my ebikes throw a defined beam for road use.

They also come with a simple leaflet telling you roughly where to aim the light.

I suspect the lights the OP saw had flood beams, great for night mountain biking, but not much good when there's vehicles coming the other way.

.... but unfortunately far cheaper to design, produce and hence more likely to be the ones that are bought and used

steve50

Disenchanted Member
ianrauk; I take responsibility for myself whether behind the wheel, on foot on on my bike.
I'll leave this forum to it's 'holier than thou' inward-looking attitude, and cycle on my merry way without it.
Thank you and goodnight.

Can't really blame the guy for his "flounce" he comes onto the forum , makes a perfectly reasonable request and immediately gets attacked for it. He is right, there are far too many of you on this forum who come across as "holier than thou" with your "up yourselves" attitude!!
I came away from this forum because of the attitudes of some of the members but thought I would take a look back into the forum tonight but i guess I needn't have bothered, its still the same old shoot just a different night. i will now leave what I once considered to be a good forum for good.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, the OP has a point, as a regular cycle path user I am regularly blinded by those strong lights on other cyclist's bikes.
Then again, I find the lights of some cars too bright.
Maybe I need glasses!

Tim Hall

Can't really blame the guy for his "flounce" he comes onto the forum , makes a perfectly reasonable request and immediately gets attacked for it. He is right, there are far too many of you on this forum who come across as "holier than thou" with your "up yourselves" attitude!!
I came away from this forum because of the attitudes of some of the members but thought I would take a look back into the forum tonight but i guess I needn't have bothered, its still the same old shoot just a different night. i will now leave what I once considered to be a good forum for good.
10 out of 10 for style. Toys ejected from pram, dummy right out.

Anyhoo, yes, those chinese lanterns pouring lumens every which way are a pain in the backside. I've told riders on my commute who have them that their lights are dazzling me. However, is @ianrauk says, I'm not responsible for how someone else, who happen to share the same mode of transport as me, behaves.

Top Bottom