Brighton with the old cars - Sunday November 6 - honk honk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
10.00 or so - do you want me to keep you informed?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1567950 said:
Really? I suggested 10:30 to Greg a couple of pages back.

Nah, it's usually before that as I always have to wait until 10am for MaccyD's to open in Asda's
thumbsup.png

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Another safety notice.

Can I also say that those who are joining the ride for the first time.

It's not advisable to stop in front of any of the vintage cars at junctions or traffic lights. Some of these old cars take a very long time to stop, if stop at all. Brakes seemed to have been an afterthought on some of these contraptions. So be aware and keep to the side of the road if there are cars coming up behind you.

+1
see you out there

TimO

Guru
I managed to avoid getting squished by any of the cars, old or the newer more common variety!

I've got a small handful of images here, after which the camera started playing silly buggers, so I gave up on it.

That ride was immense fun, it's definitely one of the better ways to see those old cars, and you can probably beat most of them there should you be so inclined!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A good day out in splendid company. Thanks to Lewisham and Southwark cyclists for organising it. Gentlemen who were abed at 8.15 this morning missed a fine day awheel.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
got back about an hour ago.
Once again this ride is a yearly cycling highlight. It really is jolly fun. Every one is in a great mood, car drivers and cyclists alike.

I stuck with Arallsops velomobile all the way to Brighton, keeping station and testing myself trying to keep up. Boy, does that thing shift.
6319049565_ac02e0af2f_z.jpg

(Mark's pic, hope you don't mind)

I was doing 40 down one hill and Andy disappeared into the distance. It gave me a really good work out just trying to keep up with the blighter. By the time we got to Brighton, the old legs were jelly.

After fish and chips at the Madeira myself, Andy and Ross set off back to home. Climbing Devils Dyke was bleedin' hard work with the vicious headwind. Usually I can hit high 40's down the other side. Today I had to pedal to keep moving...

A mile or so before Handcross, Andy had a major mechanical with the Velomobile. The rear deraillier decided to come away from the hanger, stripping the threads and bending the hanger in the process. Much 'umming and 'ahing and it was decided to turn the VM into a single speed. Or should say a 25kg single speed. This was going to be tough work for Andy getting it up the hills. But the trooper he is, he did it. I left him in Bromley looking 'spent'. A gallant effort from the man.

112 miles for the day.. roll on next year.

If you haven't done this ride, then put it in your calender for next year. I think the estimate was that there was about 50 cyclists at Croydon. Not bad at all.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
martinbrice said:
A good day out in splendid company. Thanks to Lewisham and Southwark cyclists for organising it. Gentlemen who were abed at 8.15 this morning missed a fine day awheel.
It was good to meet with you. Thanks for your helpful steer about FNRTtC. I made it to Brighton OK so I think perhaps I could do the night ride. Maybe in the spring. I shall have to get Mrs TyT used to the idea first.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It was good to meet with you. Thanks for your helpful steer about FNRTtC. I made it to Brighton OK so I think perhaps I could do the night ride. Maybe in the spring. I shall have to get Mrs TyT used to the idea first.
She should come too. Simples!

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
6319098389_b8c0463924.jpg
">

This was the usual reaction to Andys velomobile!
I rode with Andy, Ian, Colin and Russ from Crawley to Ansty (where I stopped for tea and to wait for my mate to catch up) and can confirm that the velomobile does indeed go at a rate!

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some reaction to Andy's Velomobile.

Does it have an electric motor?
Is there someone in there driving it?
What is it?

Top Bottom