Brighton with the old cars - Sunday November 6 - honk honk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there is some roadside catering. I recall getting a coffee from the Scouts just south of Reigate, and there's plenty of shops in Cuckfield. Personally I shall be saving myself for the Madeira.........

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
there is some roadside catering. I recall getting a coffee from the Scouts just south of Reigate, and there's plenty of shops in Cuckfield. Personally I shall be saving myself for the Madeira.........

There is usually some thing to be had in Handcross also...

I know a lot of you favour the Madeira - a fair chance that a few of us, if the weather's up for it (it has been at least two years) will be heading for the beach and some fish and chips and a beer - something wonderful about sitting on a British beach with cycling pals in November.

Out of interest though, as the Bastardmakers does sound interesting, is it "bike friendly?"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A quelle heure est le peloton s'attendre à arriver à Crawley High Street? Je vais probablement faire une boucle à partir de là bas quelque part au nord de Londres-sur-mer et retour à la maison pour le petit dejeuner.

Bruxelles is starting to influence me.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE

As announced above, this is primarily an LCC Lewisham Cyclists/Southwark Cyclists ride and while telling folks that it is not for beginners we do try to keep a mixed bunch of folks socially together with fairly regular regroups. We like it that way.

Inevitably, especially as the ride has grown, some folks do shoot ahead.

One important caution. The first year we did this ride, due to understandably limited opportunities to survey the route, we ended up on a bit of A road just north of Brighton which is a virtual multi-lane motorway. Yes it was fun in a mad mad way, but it isn’t advised. And so, like all years after the first one, the leader will not go that way.

The road in question is just after the descent from Clayton Hill, the last hill before Brighton. We come down the A273 but turn right into Pyecombe just before this becomes the madness that is the marked-green A23. If you end up on this, you enter a multi-lane highway and then encounter a tricky fast feed into a roundabout with cars trying to go left towards Lewes or straight on to Brighton.

To avoid it we will be turning right to go via Pyecombe onto a national cycle route.

You can see the road in question here:

http://g.co/maps/zybry

After following the cycle route for a short distance, we will rejoin the main road for the triumphal zip down to Brighton and the pier.

If you do take the fast road, be warned.

Apart from this, the rest of the ride follows the exact route taken by the cars. That's what makes it so special.

Here’s looking forward to a great day.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another safety notice.

Can I also say that those who are joining the ride for the first time.

It's not advisable to stop in front of any of the vintage cars at junctions or traffic lights. Some of these old cars take a very long time to stop, if stop at all. Brakes seemed to have been an afterthought on some of these contraptions. So be aware and keep to the side of the road if there are cars coming up behind you.

Very good point Ian - thanks.

I'll tell folks at the stops of my feeder ride about this - Bill and me will tell folks at East Croydon as well (I think you're probably joining there) but any help you can give with that there will be great.

Should be a great ride :smile:

Yep, I will meet you at Croydon

Meet at the DT first?

In answering someone's question elsewhere I found this.

I assume it's shot by one of the old car folk but it gives a good impression I think of the way we run the main ride, the joyful flavour of the day, what it's like to ride amongst these things, the wonderful autumn weather (here's hoping)

enjoy:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1567900 said:
A dix heures et midi ou onze heures peut etre

D'accord. If I can get a pass from both my jogging club Sunday morning helper duties and the lovely Helen I shall endeavour to rendezvous at Crawley High Street.

Top Bottom