Brilliant, but obscure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ooberman - Magic Treehouse

Fluffy and so delicate that a hard stare could probably knock it over, but a thing of beauty nevertheless. ;)

simonali

Guru
Mark Hollis' one solo album
Pigeonhed's eponymous debut
Grant Lee Phillips - Virginia Creeper
Tipper - The Critical Path

simonali

Guru
domtyler said:
I'd be a little surprised if anyone on here had come across a little know American band called Slint, and yet one of their albums, Spiderland, is in my top ten. I was introduced to them when I was a student many years ago by a friend of mine, I would never have heard of them if it wasn't for that.

Weirdly, I started a similar thread on another forum and this album was mentioned in there. They toured this album recently if I remember rightly?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
shonen knife - 712

they opened for nirvana on their only uk tour. unusual.

Nirvana did tour the UK more than once (about 3 times as headliners in fact) , I caught them at Newcastle riverside supporting Tad ('Bleach' era), think it was their second ever uk date. Caught them at the Newcastle mayfair with shonen knife too, nirvana much better first time round.

Some lps for me

Having a philosophical discussion with the electric eels
Here are the sonics
Songs the lord taught us

etc tooo many to mention

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
shonen knife - 712

they opened for nirvana on their only uk tour. unusual.

They aren't that unusual in Japan, although they were perhaps the original all-girl punk-pop trio in the 80s... they are still brilliant too - I saw them last year in Tokyo, and their most recent album is as fun as ever. Basically a sweeter, sillier all-woman version of the Ramones...

I have plenty of odd stuff, but perhaps the most obscure are the long-lost debut album by 90s Oxford band The Mystics (fronted by Sam Williams who produced the first Supergrass album and later formed Animal House) and The Broken Record by the Bratislava Hot Serenaders, a Slovakian jazz orchestra who play superb reditions of American and Eastern European hot jazz and swing from 20s and 30s... oh, plenty of Japanese stuff, but that's not obscure, it's just that you won't find it in the UK.

simonali

Guru
Chuffy said:
Ooberman - Magic Treehouse

Fluffy and so delicate that a hard stare could probably knock it over, but a thing of beauty nevertheless. :evil:

Can't see that one on iTunes to have a listen, but after hearing some of the other stuff I think you might like Superstar?

The former singer has been giving tracks away on his myspace page and there still currently six on there up for grabs.

http://www.myspace.com/joemcalinden

papercorn2000

Status Quo - Whatever You Want.

Possibly the best album ever. Apaprt from Anything by Phil Collins.

More people really should own:

Nezhnoe Eto - The perfect nothing
Shona Kipling and Damian O'Kane - Box on
Lau - Lightweights and Gentlemen

If you're into obscure Japanese acts (incidentally I also saw Shonen Knife supporting Nirvana on their only UK tour), in a few weeks I'm going to see Merzbow. I actually don't want to own anything he's released because it's traumatic, but seeing him live will be something else...

Top Bottom