Brilliant, but obscure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Hoven Droven - Hia Hia
Ensiferum - Iron
Moonsorrow - Suden Uni
Raymond & Maria

Dayvo is doubtless familiar with that last one to the point of nausea, but I stand by my selection! Five years ago I would have added DragonForce, but it now seems that the world and his wife are fans. Their first album is still their best, IMHO.

wafflycat

Dayvo said:
Don't know about brilliant, but they were the fore-runners of 'electronic, techno, trance, chill-out' music.

Tangerine Dream from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Saw them live at the City Hall in Newcastle, many, many moons ago.

But if you want to be really obscure, try 'Zero Time' by Tonto's Expanding Headband. Brilliant album.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
'Doomsday Afternoon' by Phideaux
'Cure For The Common Crush' - Id Guinness (I got thanked in the liner notes !)
'To Kill A King' - Hungry Lucy
'Going Deaf For A Living' - Fischer Z
'Album 25' - Dropkick

and one I got sent the other day where the artist's new to me but on first listen it's very, very good:

'A Sentimental Education' - Anton Sword

Jaded

The Mathematician's Air display. by Pekka Pohjola

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Jaded said:
The Mathematician's Air display. by Pekka Pohjola

Ahhh.... I'd forgotten that one ! He played with Mike Oldfield on his Incantations tour, and Mike plays on The Mathematician's Air Display too (IIRC).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Melvil said:
My own 'cult' band would probably be one I bought at random because I liked the name and became hooked upon listening. They're (or were, since they're no longer together) called 'Sukia' from the Mexican Lesbian Vampire comic book of the same name(!) and do wierd and erotic electronica:

I think I've got an album by them somewhere.

I'm not sure it's obscure, but Rebecca Hancock and the Prison Wives' version of "Love Will Tear us Apart" is a favourite, as is the Bonnie Pronce Billy/Tortoise collaboration (which is all covers, I think - there's a belting Bruce Springsteen track on it that I can't remember offhand).

Top Bottom