Brilliant, but obscure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I quite like my Rhino Bucket album. Had a mate from my Uni days round on Saturday and he has been trying to get hold of a copy of it for years.. I didn't have the heart to tell him I stumbled across it for less than a fiver some years back. You Tubetastic!

Also I own a Mind Funk album which is fantastically rocky (not in an 'old-has-been-boxer' type way) but gets played far too infrequently (samples available here, I have the wonderfully titled Mind Funk album)

Hey, never knew they were on You Tube too... takes me back to my youth :sad:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Not so much an obscure artist (unless you've lived under a stone your whole life) but a classic album nonetheless

Run DMC - Raising Hell

Once again, You Tube to the rescue to take me back to the day... :sad:

Cee Jay

Spiderland is a fantastic album (written on the back of the CD is 'This should be listened to on vinyl'!) but I could never get into the first album 'Tweez'.

My personal favourite was always Jonathan Fire*Eater - angular, spiky, Hammond Organ driven withthe most unique guitarist I've ever heard. Just that bit too far ahead of the curve. Should have been huge I tell ya!

everything by...
Neutral Milk Hotel
Robyn Hitchock (including Soft Boys)
Joe Henry
Damien Jurado

other obscurities - Trash Can Sinatras (see what i did there?)
Candidate have made some very lovely albums.

a couple from the late 70's; Cowboys International - Original Sin. Bruce Woolley and the Camera Club - Original Sin

U

User169

If you like Slint, you could give David Pajo's solo albums a go. He's used a number of names, but "Live from a shark cage" under the "Papa M" title is pretty good.

Other gems....

Wheat - Hope and Adams
Sidestepper - In Beats We Trust
firehose - Ragin' full on
Stump - Quirk Out

My current favourite is James Chance and the Contortions.

Here's a flavour of this no-wave brilliance..

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPb18CzG2gg

Standing out by a mile is the group The Lover Speaks. Only know of one album (same name) but all of it was so good. Dates from 1986 but I picked up on them after they had gone when a then girlfriend had the album. I then found it in the sell off bin in Woolies for 10p or something.

They did the original of "No more I love yous" later covered by Annie Lennox. Can anyone do anything better than Annie Lennox- yes! have a listen to the original ...

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1S4GjHELHaY

some good info on the comments under the clip too. I never knew too much about them.

If you dont like it then it may just be me associating it with a very good time with said ex girlfriend. She was a professional dancer and very fit. But then I am going off the subject a bit.

Top Bottom