bringing shoulders into line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've been told that my shoulders are further forward then they should be posture wise. I know I need to strenghten the trapezium muscle in the back and neck muscles as well to draw them and support them to sit correctly. Was wondering if there were any physios/sports therapists on here or well researched folk that could recommend decent exercises to strengthen the muscles up in the back and stretches to open out and lengthen the muscles in the chest and deltoids (shoulders)- I quit the gym a few months ago so only have dumbells, matts, bands and a largeish pilates ball at home for the moment but used to do an upper body work out of chin ups, shoulder presses, chest presses, lat pulldowns and pectoral fly and reverse of that the rear delts. Any suggestions besides joining the gym again as that's not an option at this moment- ideally exercises that give a full range of motion to retain flexibility as well...yes I know I'm asking a lot but well you don't ask, you don't get!;)

Garz

Squat Member
Pull ups (wide not chins), upright rows, reverse fly (if you have bench) and shrugs. Dont go too heavy (women generally dont anyway :biggrin: ) but make sure your form is good.

Good morning's will offer nice support and will tie in with leg muscles, remember to warm up thoroughly though! ;)

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Don't worry Garz I have no desire to become a packing brick sh**house any time soon...!! It's all about the form!

Thanks for the suggestions - no bench here and the pull ups may be difficult to do at home but will think creatively around it.

Bill Gates

I was given these exercises by a physio for trapezius muscles.

1) Lie on stomach, keep chin in, keep arms straight and lift and hold up above back as far as possible for a count of 30 or as long as possible..

2) Lie on stomach, lift upper body off the floor and keep chin in, put hands on floor as though to do press ups, then stretch arms out straight ahead as though swimming the breast stroke and bring arms back to starting position, repeat as many possible.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
hmm food for thought Tollers. I will incorporate stuff for the lats and the obliques as well as need to balance out the core overall otherwise there are just more imbalances where not needed.

Jesus..I should just get back to the gym and let them rob me of my hard earned cash!

Chest stretch - To stretch the pecs. Hold your arm straight out so your hand is in line with some vertical object (a doorframe is good). You then gently twist your upper body keeping your hips straight. Quickly you will feel the tension build in your chest. Hold and repeat.

Delts stretch - Depends if you want to stretch posetior , anterior of medial delts. I'm going to assume posterior as you seem concerned about your back. My method is to take your left arm and draw it accross your chest and push your hand out as far to the right of your body as you can. Hold and repeat in inverse.

OK.....sounds like i need to give you a long boring lecture :rofl:

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Tollers said:
OK.....sounds like i need to give you a long boring lecture :rofl:

Hmm I look forward to itxx(

Only joking, I'm pretty nerdy when it comes to things like this so will be all good

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Who told you that........... ?? Why ??

If you are serious about cycling, don't listen to any non cycling coach...... really.....

Core strength is good, but not that specific - big upper body is crap other than for track sprints....

Went indoor climbing with my son for his birthday party - loads of folk doing it.... saw a few...t-shirt off big 'chest' muscles boys...... (no lady's with top's off guys).....the poseurs had little legs......show offs...the fit climbers were just trim....... they were up the climbs...... the muscle boys were rubbish........

As a cyclist you need to work on core strength, but you don't need big muscles...just efficient..... hence cyclist's generally look odd......

PS I didn't climb...or try - shoulder has got worse with the cold (and decorating duties) - works on a bike as it's not really used.......

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Foss- A cycling professional sports masseuse told me about this and she's a silver medal mountain biker- it's also related to general shoulder and back problems that I have. So she knows what she's talking about and it doesn't mean bulking up in the upper body- core and muscular strength does not mean getting big muscles - in fact the opposite but my general posture can be improved by addressing the imbalances..plus it'd be a bit difficult to bulk up hulk style as a woman;)

Yes just also read track is the plan so that will also have a bearing on the advice

I am Spartacus

Über Member
As posture is the issue... doing a weight training upper body program with bad technique is not going to help.
How do you know your technique is wrong?
You don't until someone points it out.
At least get some professional guidance to do the exercises correctly and not some gym muppet.

Off topic.... Army drill training was all I needed to correct posture... you do not argue with an RSM... well you can.. but it only gets you as far as the guard room.......:blush:

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Posture is linked to weak back muscles and correspondingly strong chest muscles which seems to be causing the problem of bringing the shoulders forward as it's not just a case of me stooping or rounding my shoulders- though have to be mindful of keeping my shoulders up now and in line to get into the habit. It's not about pulling heavy weights either so no worries re straining and bad form- not ever been my cup of tea anyway.

No plans to join the army any time soon spartacus!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
ttcycle said:
Posture is linked to weak back muscles and correspondingly strong chest muscles which seems to be causing the problem of bringing the shoulders forward as it's not just a case of me stooping or rounding my shoulders- though have to be mindful of keeping my shoulders up now and in line to get into the habit. It's not about pulling heavy weights either so no worries re straining and bad form- not ever been my cup of tea anyway.

No plans to join the army any time soon spartacus!

Good.. just everytime you slip forwards... imagine being bellowed at at full volume in your shelllike.... and we'll let you off carrying that 'eavy gun

Top Bottom