FNRttC Bristol to Barry Friday Night Ride - 5th May (old thread)

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by Flying Dodo, 16 Feb 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo It'll soon be summer

This is not about the ride being open to registration for the forthcoming début of the absolutely stunning new Friday Night Ride to the Coast route for Bristol to Barry. It is however a pre-ride thread, to give advance warning for anyone planning from travelling from distant parts (such as London) to get to the start in Bristol, that cheap advance tickets are now available to Bristol, from £15 from Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads.

And if you book on the Hull Trains website, if you reserve a seat, then you can also book your bike reservation at the same time. This is one of the few train companies whose website lets you do this at the same time. Most make you ring up afterwards for a bike reservation, which is a bit hopeless. Please note that for anyone travelling from Paddington, as this is a Great Western service, you WILL need a reservation unless you have a folding bike.

EDIT
    Cheap Barry to London Paddington tickets on Saturday 6th May have now also been released for £18:50.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2017
    StuAff and mmmmartin like this.
  2. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

Hopefully there will be cheap tickets from Barry to Portsmouth stations...currently ££££!

3. OP
    OP
    Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo It'll soon be summer

£11.50 for the week before, so should be available very soon, so keep checking daily.

StuAff likes this.
  4. StuAff

Ticket to Bristol bought. £11.50....possibly sacrificial ;)

5. mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

This is a lovely ride, and includes a very special bridge - alas a change to family plans means I can't make this ride.

ianmac62 and StuAff like this.
  6. StuAff

(Like for the first bit and not the second, obv.!).

ianmac62 and mmmmartin like this.
  7. Aravis

Aravis Here for the ride.

Are you referring to the Severn Bridge, or the Clifton Suspension Bridge? I don't know if the route has been planned yet, but if the starting point is Temple Meads it would be quite easy, and highly spectacular, to begin with a crossing of the Clifton bridge.

It could be argued that the most special bridge on this route is the Newport Transporter Bridge, but sadly that will be closed when the ride is passing.

I've never considered joining one of these rides, but this one is on my patch (almost) and I begin to see the attraction. The website is very informative.

8. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Only easy if you like murdering your legs and lungs before they've warmed up!

Illaveago, the_mikey and User45 like this.
  9. StuAff

It's the Clifton...though I imagine the Severn will be on the agenda, we're not going a long way round....

Last edited: 17 Feb 2017
  10. StuAff

Be warned, they're addictive....:smile:

wanda2010 and robjh like this.
  11. robjh

robjh Legendary Member

Hmm, only 160 miles from home to Bristol, then from Barry the whole of Wales at my feet. Just an idea at this stage, but I am considering doing this ride in full touring mode.

Illaveago likes this.
  12. User482

User482 Guest

The bridge is 75 metres high - it's not exactly Mt. Ventoux...

Oh, and there will be four bridges on this ride. And a barrage. Probably.

Flying Dodo and theclaud like this.
  13. mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

Take a bow, @velovoice

ianmac62, velovoice and User482 like this.
  14. mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

Feel free - one Salvatore, NOTP, turned up for the Brussels-Ostend ride on a fully-loaded touring bike after a month touring Europe, and after Ostend simply turned north and kept going to NordKapp before turning southwards and riding back to Hampshire.

(He was polite enough to slow down for us.)

robjh likes this.
  15. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

That's a demiDitchling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice