FNRttC Bristol to Barry Friday Night Ride - 5th May (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

P.S I will arrange for a local rider to lead people from the station to the start, should there be demand for it.

ianmac62

Guru
Thanks again @User482 - booked to arrive at Temple Meads at 2243 on a Cross Country train from Birmingham. Then booked on the 0855 Arriva Trains Wales from Barry Island to Cardiff arriving 0924 and then catching the 0945 Cross Country from Cardiff to Birmingham. Thanks to @Flying Dodo - I used the Hull Trains website to make the train + bike reservations.

Now a word of warning! I may have read it incorrectly but Arriva Trains Wales published a "Taking Your Cycle / Mynd â'ch Beic" in 2012 with diagrams for the "Valleys and Cardiff Local Routes". It shows that from Barry (is that the same as Barry Island?) cycles are permitted at all times on trains as for as Cadoxton ... but from Cadoxton to Cardiff cycles are not permitted on Saturdays on trains arriving in Cardiff between 1000 and 1400 (and at no time on a Saturday when there is a major event taking place at the Millennium Stadium). I checked on the stadium website that there's nothing on on 6th May.

Hence I booked a train arriving at Cardiff at 0924.

Just sayin' - of course local knowledge may well be different and more up-to-date.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Having read the updated version of that leaflet, and the PDF version of the timetable, we're OK I think. 2 bikes per train, though...

U

User482

Alternatively, London peeps could head to Bridgend for the mainline connection.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Now a word of warning!
Thanks for seeing that. Every club needs an @ianmac62

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Am very keen to do this ride as it looks like a cracker. Alas I may have to pay Many Pounds for the trains as I may have to buy tickets close to the time: I can't be sure Life isn't going to get in the way. I need to juggle a recce of the Tour route, guests staying at Mmmmartin Towers, DofE stuff and the Old Lorries run on the Sunday afterwards. So I can't go down earlier and can't return later.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
In fact, I have been thinking and have come up with A Cunning Plan that allows me to do this ride. To which I am increasingly drawn because riding over the Clifton Suspension Bridge is an experience for which it is worth making A Big Effort.

Just a few things to put in place and I'm OK.

ianmac62

Guru
... it seems to be a hotel car park...
So what you're saying, @User, is that at any moment, while happily drinking in the Avon Gorge Hotel, my wife and son-in-law's sister could have gone plunging down a vertical tunnel of water!
IMG_0444.JPG

ianmac62

Guru
Thanks @Flying Dodo for the Hull Trains tip - I picked up my BHM-CDF and BYI-BHM tickets today at my local station and, lo and behold, out came pairs of printed cards - one for me and one to attach to my bicycle handlebars with string - to show that I have bike reservations with CrossCountry Trains. So much more satisfying than iPhone messages.

BTW I found, by a method I'm not too sure of, that I could fool the CrossCountry Trains website into e-mailing/messaging me electronic reservations without actually using their site to buy the tickets. The e-mails/messages, however, arrived several hours after I made the phantom booking.

Really looking forward to this one, @User482!

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Thanks @Flying Dodo for Hull Trains advice.
I'm booked wonderfully cheaply on train to Bridtol TM arr 1538 (£13.90).
Return from Cardiff dep 1326 (£11.90)

@User482: advice please re whiling away a few hours on Friday afternoon/evening?

U

User482

Thanks @Flying Dodo for Hull Trains advice.
I'm booked wonderfully cheaply on train to Bridtol TM arr 1538 (£13.90).
Return from Cardiff dep 1326 (£11.90)

@User482: advice please re whiling away a few hours on Friday afternoon/evening?
Excellent! As you have a bit of time, I'd recommend the SS Great Britain which takes a good couple of hours for a proper look round - and I work that side of town so could meet you for a quick drink if you like. I will have a think about a meeting spot for early arrivals - the problem is that most of the bars and restaurants in the central area are rammed on a Friday night.

The suggestion of riding from Bath is also a good one, as there is an excellent cycle path (a collector's item!) virtually the whole way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom