FNRttC Bristol to Barry Friday Night Ride - 5th May (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ta. Sustrans have a more up-to-date leaflet on their site. It's shown on Google Maps, which was helpful. Just did a route on Plotaroute, and it used the path exactly. 104 miles, not too bad.

U

User482

Bath Spa to SS Great Britain: https://goo.gl/maps/sS1ogzHXmsw

(I've not ridden the bit in Bath for quite a while and am not convinced it starts as near to the station as Google says. No big deal as you can take the main road for a couple of miles before diverting onto the river path. Then the railway path all the way to Bristol. There are cafes at Bitton and Warmley directly on the path. Plus Bath Ales brewery...)

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Bath Spa to SS Great Britain: https://goo.gl/maps/sS1ogzHXmsw

(I've not ridden the bit in Bath for quite a while and am not convinced it starts as near to the station as Google says. No big deal as you can take the main road for a couple of miles before diverting onto the river path. Then the railway path all the way to Bristol. There are cafes at Bitton and Warmley directly on the path. Plus Bath Ales brewery...)

In theory it's possible however the path shown near the station is currently subject to development, it's infamously narrow and is shown on google maps as unpaved/dirt track, you may find it quicker to take A367 to New King Street just north of 'Green Park Station' and join NCN4 from that point.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
In theory it's possible however the path shown near the station is currently subject to development, it's infamously narrow and is shown on google maps as unpaved/dirt track, you may find it quicker to take A367 to New King Street just north of 'Green Park Station' and join NCN4 from that point.
Thanks. Tweaked my route to allow for that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Bbbbut - @Dogtrousers did you not sign up for updates on the Fridays' website here.....??????
Yes. It means I missed the email and the thread. I really am that useless.

Riding there would avoid train hassles, as well as giving the legs a nice warm-up before the night ride
A "nice warm up" of about 200k!

I did actually think about that for about 2 microseconds. But it would also mean booking a Friday off work, and still needing to get my big bike back to London from Wales the next day.

I think Brompton is the answer.

Archeress

Veteran
This kinda interests me but I'm worried I will not be up to it, anything anyone can say to engourage/discourage me?

Hugs
Archeress x

mmmmartin

Random geezer
anything anyone can say to engourage/discourage me?
Dear @Archeress
Ride starts at midnight, finishes about 8.30am ish. We've travelled about 60 miles in that time, with a halfway stop. So 30 miles ish in about three hours, then a rest of maybe an hour ish then another 30 miles in about three hours. Time for regroups, punctures, etc. We have waymarkers, TECs and an All Upper - have a look at the website. This ride will have 150 rides behind it: it's not our first rodeo.

Archeress

Veteran
Fridays rides have a ethos, people are not left behind.

Dear @Archeress
Ride starts at midnight, finishes about 8.30am ish. We've travelled about 60 miles in that time, with a halfway stop. So 30 miles ish in about three hours, then a rest of maybe an hour ish then another 30 miles in about three hours. Time for regroups, punctures, etc. We have waymarkers, TECs and an All Upper - have a look at the website. This ride will have 150 rides behind it: it's not our first rodeo.

Thank you both. As it's on my doorstep, I think I might give it a try. It'll be worth the couple of quid (plus a bridge toll when my fiance collects me in Barry)

Hugs
Archeress x

mmmmartin

Random geezer
OK, @Archeress - great news. There's a hoop or two to leap through:
  1. bring a sense of humour
  2. check the bike, esp the tyres, and Read. The. Basics.
  3. remember the sense of humour. These rides are just about the fun-nest thing you can do on a bike.
there's a form to fill in and stuff: best to sign up for updates here and when @User482 opens the ride you click on the link and fill in the form. You need to be a member of The Fridays which costs a mighty two of Her Majesty's Pounds for an entire year to do a ride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom