Bristol to Bath cycle path closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't think there would be the room to do so even after the widening scheme at Lawrence Hill (she says hopefully), though that wouldn't prevent it joining further along.

fatblokish

Guru
Arghhhh.

The madness continues. Now today cycling along the canal from Bath towards the start of the cycle path there are huge signs. Canal path closed for 6 months.... To take down a bridge this time.
Do you mean the river path or is this another closure along the canal?

It's a funny thing, but I notice that many of my fellow Bathonians get very confused about their local waterways. The bit between Windsor bridge and Green Park is the River Avon, as you will find if you follow it downstream to Bristol and (clue) Avonmouth, or upstream to (clue) Bradford on Avon. The wet bit with not much of a current that runs from Widcombe (Bath) out to Reading is the Kenneth and Avon canal. The short by-pass between the Flightworks Bridge/Hermann Miller factory and Brassmill Lane is the New Cut, so called because around here the 18th century is still news.

I know this because canoeist.

I'll shut up now.

Till next time :-)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've been waiting to see who here is first through .... I'm feeling the lurgy so I'm not riding anywhere!

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
It was open yesterday ^_^

FB_IMG_1430641351320.jpg

So there is a new cut in both Bristol and Bath?
There is indeed. Bristol's is much longer and deeper, in fact many people who don't know what it's called assume it's the natural course of the tidal bit of the (Bristol) Avon.

In fact, the Floating Harbour (Bristol Docks) was created by damming the Avon with a giant lock to let ships in and out. The flow of the river meanwhile, was channelled south of the harbour in the New Cut, reputedly dug by Napoleonic prisoners of war. The Feeder Canal meanwhile, was dug from above the tide-weir at Newbridge (Bristol) to tap off water from the river and keep the harbour topped up.

All this aquatic history has cycling significance because these waterways nearly all have towpaths or other accompanying routes that have become important cycle routes, being generally, comparatively flat.

runner

Guru
It was great to travel straight through to Bristol Centre today...well apart from a little detour at Lawrence Hill^_^ However the work does not appear to be finished....is this just a reprieve? I loved the fancy ironwork just after teewell hill and the bent steel rails thrown on the side....still not complaining I forgot how nice it was without having to detour...but I may do the detour one night this week...for old time sake^_^^_^

Top Bottom