Bristol to Bath cycle path closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Do you work in politics? If not you should do :okay:
I hate politics and all the manoeuvring that goes with it rather than being honest!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The Railway Path is being resurfaced from Bitton?. Hmmm.,..interesting, never heard of that. Still, it's probably 30 years since the last time it was done!. Some small bits down from Fishponds got done a few years ago and are already showing tree root heave damage:sad:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Local newspaper reports today that this stretch of the path will be closed for another two months:sad:. So that'll be near the end of April?.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Humph!:cursing: Just how bad could their planning be!

"We have considered all the available options, including partially opening the site during peak commuter hours however because this is a construction site with heavy plant machinery in place, frequent deliveries and building work taking place it would not be safe to have the site open to cyclists and walkers at the same time.

"As the site is exposed to the elements, there is also a daily build-up of mud and dust which would not be pleasant to cycle or walk through.

"Having weighed up all the options, we will continue to keep the construction site closed, for safety reasons, until the work is completed."
I haven't seen much activity when I've been going past and I don't know why they don't think we can't cycle through mud and dust (isn't that the norm for some cycle paths).

Kahuczek

Took this pic on Sunday, still a fair bit of work to do ....
P1020351.JPG

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
At least once a year I cycle the whole thing from end to end, I'm looking forward to the prospect of being able to do it again soon, only this time I'll add the two tunnels in for good measure, I wonder how long a ride that'll be... :eek:

I would like to be able to do it every day but hey ho. I am going to ring the council again.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
The cycle path saga is never ending it seems. Email just received from South Glos transport planning officer Lee Lodder. This is a second closure but this time without any actual diversion as there isn't a safe one it seems.

We now have confirmed details of the forthcoming Railway path closure.

Between the 26th May and 19th June 2015 the Bristol / Bath Cycle path will be temporarily closed to undertake resurfacing works.

The proposed closure will be from the old railway station at Bitton southwards towards the boundary with BANES (you will need to leave/join the railway path at Saltford). Unfortunately there is no formal diversion route to follow, so cyclists will need to find their own way between Saltford and Bitton Station.

Advance warning signs with the dates of the closure will be erected on site approximately 1 month prior to the commencement of the works.

The surface of the existing cycle path is deteriorating quite badly in places. The proposed resurfacing will provide a nice smooth surface to cycle on and also reduce the requirement for regular maintenance.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Seems you can ride the A4 or the A341 and take your life in your own hands and screw us commuters. But then they do sign off with this...

Thanks to those attending the last cycle forum meeting, who fed back the importance of keeping the path open over the Bank Holiday weekend, you will note that this has been accounted for, as the closure will commence the day after Bank Holiday Monday.

Thats OK then... South Glos council, committed to stopping cycling in 2015

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Looks like guerrilla action will be the favored strategy. Hop onto the railway and walk the closure and hop back on as I am sure they wont be tearing the whole stretch up and if they do it may be time to dig out a more suited bike and ride through the closure.

Hum, what about guerrilla action to reclaim the road between Bath and Bitton. It ought to be a lovely ride, albeit good exercise with its rolling gradients, but the attitudes of drivers on there are quite shocking, not to mention local firms who ought to know better sending four axle trucks along it. A takeover by cyclists might save it from sliding down the hill again like it did last year!

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Just received this email from SGCC on the upcoming closure at Avon Valley railway. It seems the feedback that a number of users have given the council may have been listened to.

All,

A further update on this closure:
Please note the commencement of this scheme has been put back by one week so that it does not clash with school half term. The revised date for the closure will be 1st to 19th June 2015.
During this period, if / when the construction works will allow, we will open the route back up to the public at weekends and also possibly evenings. Unfortunately due to the nature of the works we will not be in a position to notify of these times.
Regards
Lee Lodder
Transport Planning Officer
Strategic Transport Policy Team

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Every time I see this thread notification I secretly hope that it's going to be one saying they have managed to open the path early ..... I'm always disappointed!!!

How do you get notified by South Glos?

Top Bottom