Bristol to Bath cycle path closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
I may give the engineer at SG council tomorrow to find out what is going on. I still have his number from when the signs changed from 8 to 22 weeks.

thornstar

Regular
As you approach the tunnel from the Bristol side there is a metal fence...now broken and lots of branches behind what's all that about?.....its beginning to resemble a dumping ground still the same when I rode past some 50mins ago.....

I noticed that today too. Maybe some youngsters drunk on alcopops taking their mopeds for a spin.

thornstar

Regular
What's this?. Some Bristol post reader not liking cyclists?.

There was a woman whose house is on an alleged private lane which was part of the original diversion route. Instead of contacting the council to say she wasn't cricket about the arrangements like any normal rational person would, she instead decided to bury tacks in sand and put up some of those plastic orange barriers drunk students tend to borrow from roadworks. I haven't been past there in a while so I didn't know if she's still doing it.

More here.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why is it an alleged private lane? There are lots of bits that are privately owned, you only really find out when you report a pothole and discover that the council won't do anything to fix it. I use one private road lots and it's like the surface of the moon, but you just weave you're way around the craters and every so often they fill them badly (the road behind The Inn on The Green in Horfield).

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
There haven't been any barriers, sand or tacks for a number of weeks. I get off and push the bike through in the afternoon as not to piss off the locals. At 5.30am I cycle it.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
There was a woman whose house is on an alleged private lane which was part of the original diversion route. Instead of contacting the council to say she wasn't cricket about the arrangements like any normal rational person would, she instead decided to bury tacks in sand and put up some of those plastic orange barriers drunk students tend to borrow from roadworks. I haven't been past there in a while so I didn't know if she's still doing it.

More here.
That's just off Soundwell Road near my house. I frequently walk along it when going shopping. I did wonder what the Chapter 8 barriers (highways name) were for as there seemed to be no roadworks. They aren't there anymore.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
I just gave Mike Johnson who has been running looking after this project for South Glos. It seems they are fairly confident that the path will reopen by the end of the month. I did tell him the signs either end of the closure tell a different story but he assured me that was for the project to complete and wouldn't impact the path.

I then asked him when they were planning the closure of the path at Bitton to resurface the 1 mile as mentioned in the latest cycle forum notes on their website and he told me he didn't know as he wasn't dealing with that project. I will be pinging an email off to them now.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Reply from south Gloucestershire council this afternoon. Very speedy I must say so all credit to them.

"I’ve spoken to the team in charge of I’ve spoken to the team in charge of the resurfacing programme, and they tell me the work is planned to take place around May/June this year, but dates have not been finalised yet. It will unfortunately involve a full closure of the path for a period of time, from Bitton Station to Banes, and once details have been finalised I will distribute them to the cycle forum members. With regard to the current closure of the Staple Hill tunnel section, that is still on track to be reopened by the end of March."

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
@summerdays at least south Gloucestershire cc seem to have a decent cycling team and they reply to emails straight away unlike Bristol cc who get millions of central government money and don't seem to give a flying

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
@summerdays at least south Gloucestershire cc seem to have a decent cycling team and they reply to emails straight away unlike Bristol cc who get millions of central government money and don't seem to give a flying
I think it's getting through to the right department, and sometimes getting departments to talk to each other. And they keep having reshuffles to save money (apparently)!

Top Bottom