Britain by Bike.... really?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickWi

Guru
Have you also noticed how the seasons change depending on the article? In the show about the The Isles of Scilly they start off in very early spring and there aren't any leaves on the trees in the background and if I remember righty they cycled past a field that was going to be or had just been Daffodils . Fast forward and the next article about a boat race and it's full summer. I guess it's either filmed around the presenters other commitments or they just fly in for a specific article, edit and we're not supposed to notice. That's also the reason they dress in the sames clothes all the time, continuity (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
They certainly mix up the days and the rides, yesterday they were riding down from the PyG towards Beddgelert then suddenly they were arriving at the hotel they must have just left. Then from rain and fog to bright sun and back again. At Beddgelert the Dad read out the poignant story of Gelert but kept pronouncing the name Celert. :wacko:

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
I wonder if they would have a similar guest cyclist on the show who didn't wear a plastic hat?

I don't think that they had any idea whether I wore a helmet or not. They didn't ask me about helmets or say I had to wear one in any preliminary discussion- I just had to turn up at said location at said time dressed to go for a bike ride.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
They certainly mix up the days and the rides, yesterday they were riding down from the PyG towards Beddgelert then suddenly they were arriving at the hotel. Then from rain and fog to bright sun and back again. At Beddgelert the Dad read out the poignant story of Gelert but kept pronouncing the name Celert. :wacko:
Did you wear one?

Yes, but then I always do.

iandg

Legendary Member
Larry Lamb never took his off and appeared to wear it all the time, even when not being filmed.

iandg

Legendary Member
I suspect if you rocked up without one, they may have produced one their sponsor made earlier and insisted you wear it on pain of being cut (only from the show, hopefully ;) ).

Who knows? The impression I got was that the show is not about the kit, it's a travelogue. About the places they visit, the people they meet along the way and you don't need to use a car or wear lycra to do it.

A father and son having fun travelling by bike (Electric in Larry's case).

No evidence during my time with the crew that it was a pro-helmet propaganda film. In fact with the number of 'helmet wearing continuity retakes' they would have probably preferred a non-helmet wearing randonneur ^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
As I think I mentioned in my OP, Larry's helmet strap is so badly adjusted and cutting into his ear that I have trouble believing he wears it for any longer than for the few minutes they are filmed riding bicycles. That and their over-dressed state, which would cause me to sweat like a nutter if I was doing any real cycling.

On the plus side though the pair are not afraid to show affection for each other.

Top Bottom