British bloke goes into space... why all the fuss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without a space hat thingy.
Now that's just taking it too far...a tiny pinhole shall suffice:okay:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Certainly nothing new about anyone going into space or spending 6 months on the ISS, and this Tim bloke isn't the first Brit to go to space... so what's all the fuss about?
While I don't wish to detract from the educational value, going to the ISS is pretty routine. And in no way can it be compared to Apollo. Those guys went half a million miles to another body in our solar system. This mission is going to..er..just outside our atmosphere, like driving vertically from London to Edinburgh.

classic33

Leg End Member
While I don't wish to detract from the educational value, going to the ISS is pretty routine. And in no way can it be compared to Apollo. Those guys went half a million miles to another body in our solar system. This mission is going to..er..just outside our atmosphere, like driving vertically from London to Edinburgh.
Try driving there then!

screenman

Legendary Member

Where was that, about twice as far away as the moon.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I think it is brilliant, but I also worry .. 100 years ago we flew bi-planes, 50 years ago we went into orbit, 40 years ago we walked on the moon, today we are back in orbit ... :sad: ... where has the desire gone ?

vickster

Legendary Member
40 years ago we walked on the moon, today we are back in orbit ... :sad: ... where has the desire gone ?
Nah never happened :whistle:

Has the desire gone or just the endless pots of cash wasted and willy waving by the USA and now no more USSR

I want to watch Masterchef so could the space types now please bugger off ;)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Patrick Moore had a rather good boast that he'd met (one of?) the Wright brothers AND Neil Armstrong.

And whilst actual people haven't yet been further than the moon, even Mars is a bloody long way. Most of us, those who remember the moon landings at any rate have driven as far as the moon after all. But unmanned probes have soft landed on Titan, and flown past Pluto. These are awsome acheivements

The shuttle missions were just that too..routine. Until the Challenger disaster.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think it is brilliant, but I also worry .. 100 years ago we flew bi-planes, 50 years ago we went into orbit, 40 years ago we walked on the moon, today we are back in orbit ... :sad: ... where has the desire gone ?
George Caley flew long before that.

Top Bottom