British Cycling and HSBC (and diversity in cycling)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
@S-Express seems to be taking a lot of heat for this and I honestly don't think it's deserved.

First off, the thread was not about diversity, it was about a business deal between two organisations. BC and HSBC might not be shining examples of ethnic goodness, but they're no better or worse than any other large, British organisation. How it transformed into this is still a mystery to me.

As I've read it, S-Express is making two points, and I hope he'll correct me if I'm wrong, that

based on his personal experience, BC is an inclusive organisation and

promotional material that doesn't include BAME models isn't necessarily and purposefully racist. It's more important to promote genuine diversity than think you've solved the problem by including a few non-White faces in a video.

No one can argue with the first point because he explicitly said it's based on his experience. You can disagree with the second point, but extrapolating that to calling S-Express a racist is deeply unfair.

S-Express

As I've read it, S-Express is making two points, and I hope he'll correct me if I'm wrong, that

promotional material that doesn't include BAME models isn't necessarily and purposefully racist. It's more important to promote genuine diversity than think you've solved the problem by including a few non-White faces in a video.

In a nutshell - cheers fella :smile:

Inclusivity - it's far more important to deliver it than to aspire to it.

huwsparky

Über Member
@S-Express seems to be taking a lot of heat for this and I honestly don't think it's deserved.

First off, the thread was not about diversity, it was about a business deal between two organisations. BC and HSBC might not be shining examples of ethnic goodness, but they're no better or worse than any other large, British organisation. How it transformed into this is still a mystery to me.

No one can argue with the first point because he explicitly said it's based on his experience. You can disagree with the second point, but extrapolating that to calling S-Express a racist is deeply unfair.

For sure, to me, the 'mob' in this thread have much more of a racial motive than @S-Express has shown. He's made it clear that he just wants to see people on bikes, end of.

He's done well really, we all know what they say about arguing with idiots...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
Having moved a long way off the topic of the switch from SKY to HSBC as the funding behind BC and aired all sorts of different opinions - generally in a civil manner - it's time to Close this thread now.

Some posts have been Deleted and some Edited to maintain the general civility of the thread.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom