British Cycling ''local events''

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beepbeep

so I put my postcode in the ''local events'' search box on the British Cycling website and it came back with loads of local free events....GREAT !! - I initially thought until I checked out the conditions....Most stated
'' women only''

I appreciate that some women prefer to cycle in groups of women but what would be the reaction of I posted an event and the main condition stated '' MEN ONLY''. ?? There would be uproar !

I am all for equality / diversity etc but come on....apart from the pro cycling events should we really allow discrimination on grounds of gender ???

Cycling is cycling

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Difficult call! I think we will all agree that women are under-represented in cycling so all/any initiatives to correct that should be welcomed?

‘Breeze’ rides are women only rides. They are part of BCs drive to get more women involved in cycling. ‘Guided Rides’ and ‘Ride Social’ are for anyone. However, I’ve just tried a search on the let’s ride site, as a general search, in my area, and it seems you may have a point. I’m a BC ride leader, and I’m surprised by the lack of Guided rides and ride socials in my area at present. I used to put lots on, the reason I ( personally ) don’t, is because I used to get ‘full houses’ booked up (8 riders per leader maximum) which then makes the system say there are no places left, only to have no one turn up. It wastes a lot of time and effort, and we don’t get paid anymore, so I guess that may be part of the reason our local ( non Breeze) leaders are reticent to put rides on:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I used to put lots on, the reason I ( personally ) don’t, is because I used to get ‘full houses’ booked up (8 riders per leader maximum) which then makes the system say there are no places left, only to have no one turn up.
I can imagine that is very disheartening, if you can take the time to register your interest to go, I don't see why you cannot also register your disinterest if something turns up so you can't go, it's just common manners.

I must admit I'm a bit of an anti-social rider, I ride virtually always on my own, part of that is my own anxiety as I don't want to be the one holding the group up, failing to make the climb, not being able to go the distance etc. etc. But I did think I would join a couple of social rides just to see if I could get myself out of the mindset & found exactly what the OP found, that the only ones in my area were women only, no objections to that but it would be nice if there were options for non competitive men.

vickster

Legendary Member
CUK do group rides don’t they too? Our local lot do, sedate pace, not too far, mixed gender

W Yorks https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/cycling-west-yorkshire?amp
North
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/cycling-north-yorkshire?amp

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I can see why BC cannot run successful male/mixed rides, whilst being able to accommodate female only rides. Most male cyclists will easily be able to find a local club to accommodate them from social to full on racing, not all clubs are so open to female cyclists or at least a few appear not to be even if they are. The Breeze rides set a common standard and seem to work pretty well and are being well and truly focused on by BC.

TLDR; Try your local clubs and ignore BC.

Top Bottom