British Cycling Membership and Halfords 10% off Not Accepted??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just went into Halfords to get a couple of items.
I took my British Cycling membership card and the membership benefits leaflet that shows you all your discounts including the 10% Halfords discount.

It says

"claim 10% off all purchases at Halfords stores nationwide including the Boardman range. This offer applies to already discounted items as well."

Even though I showed them the information they said they knew nothing of the offer and had no code for the till. They also said it was probably on line only and if not I would need to download a voucher.

So guess what they refused to accept my membership discount and charged me full price.

Does anyone have experience with using the british cycling offering a Halfords store?

Thanks

compo

Veteran
Have you read the small small print. If so and you still think you are right then keep your receipt and complain to BC and Halfords head office.

Since I didn't renew with BC and joined the London Cycling Campaign instead I have had no end of phone calls, letters and emails from British Cycling trying to get me to sign up again. This has been going on for nearly 6 months now despite my asking them to stop. I will never rejoin them now.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
When logged into the BC website:

How to get your discount:
You can either print off the voucher below to use in store or use the promotional code XXXXXX for purchases online.
So you did need to download a voucher, and so the staff were correct.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
I have just looked on the British Cycling website here: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

The final two sentences of the blurb may be helpful to you:
To get this benefit, as well as all the other great benefits on offer, you can join British Cycling for just £2 a month. If you’re already a member, click on ‘Claim Benefit’ below to find out the redemption process.

Thanks for that, it looks like I need to download a voucher then. I have been in store before and they have just accepted my membership card.

400bhp

Guru
British Cycling have recently changed their "Halfords 10% discount" which might go some way to explaining the problem.

In the past the promotion worked by buying Halfords vouchers (in multiples of £10). The vouchers would be discounted by 10%. These could be used in store or on line like any other Halfords vouchers.

What this meant is that you could not only benefit from the British Cycling 10% discount, but also any Halfords promotional discounts. For example I bought my wife a Carrera Subway Limited Edition at the point where Halfords had a 10% offer on all bikes-this meant the Halfords price was £180. By buying Halfords vouchers I ended up paying £162.

The British cycling 10% discount is now given in the form of a voucher or discount code direct from British Cycling and IIRC "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer" and is specifically for cycles and accessories.

Cliff Matthews

Cliff Matthews BKool Swarm
Just went into Halfords to get a couple of items.
I took my British Cycling membership card and the membership benefits leaflet that shows you all your discounts including the 10% Halfords discount.

It says

"claim 10% off all purchases at Halfords stores nationwide including the Boardman range. This offer applies to already discounted items as well."

Even though I showed them the information they said they knew nothing of the offer and had no code for the till. They also said it was probably on line only and if not I would need to download a voucher.

So guess what they refused to accept my membership discount and charged me full price.

Does anyone have experience with using the british cycling offering a Halfords store?

Thanks

I've never ever had any problems with Halfords. In Ipswich they have a bar code in their book for British Cycling membership. They ask to see your membership card. You should complain to Halfords and to British Cycling.

Cliff Matthews

British Cycling have recently changed their "Halfords 10% discount" which might go some way to explaining the problem.

In the past the promotion worked by buying Halfords vouchers (in multiples of £10). The vouchers would be discounted by 10%. These could be used in store or on line like any other Halfords vouchers.

What this meant is that you could not only benefit from the British Cycling 10% discount, but also any Halfords promotional discounts. For example I bought my wife a Carrera Subway Limited Edition at the point where Halfords had a 10% offer on all bikes-this meant the Halfords price was £180. By buying Halfords vouchers I ended up paying £162.

The British cycling 10% discount is now given in the form of a voucher or discount code direct from British Cycling and IIRC "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer" and is specifically for cycles and accessories.

These seems strange. Only a few days ago I was in Halfords in Ipswich and purchased in the usual manner, the staff scanned the 10% discount code from their own catalogue and gave me as normal 10% off.

Cliff Matthews

Conclusion, come to Ipswich they operate the common sense system, just show your card and get 10% off.

Cliff Matthews

and also I followed through with the advice of checking on the British Cycling web-site, what it eventually comes to is this message:

How to get your discount
Simply present your valid British Cycling membership card at the till when you make your purchase to obtain a 10% discount.

Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts#DbHkMItkGvxPQBYo.99

so no need to travel to Ipswich. If you get a staff member who doesn't know the rules then ask for the manager.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Looking at the BC website, it seems that the process is just like it has always been - present the card, get 10% off everything except gift cards, including discounted items. They've also given me 10% discount on everything I've got them to price match too (even when they've price matched their own website...).

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

You might want to consider contacting Halfords customer services dept..?

Oh! The London Olympics are about to start!
Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 15.35.20.jpg

Top Bottom