British Cycling Membership and Halfords 10% off Not Accepted??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Just looked on British Cycling website re membership discount at Halfords (to see if it’s worth becoming a member) and I’m a little confused:

265E1990-5948-46F5-A95F-3FD0A2338CFA.jpeg

Does this mean the discount is applied to sales items or not? :scratch:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Our local Halfords gives 10% off all prices, promotional or not, on everything on presentation of a BC card. No vouchers, codes etc. needed.

As an aside Cotswold Outdoor will give 15% but only on full price items.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Never had a problem getting discount at Halfords in Southport, just show your Cycling UK card and they scan a barcode on a piece of paper by the till which applies your discount. I have done this with sale items as well, without a problem.

When shopping at Halfords, it is worth looking at their website to find the online price first. This is often considerably cheaper than the store price, and when I pointed this out to the staff, they checked the online price, matched it and also applied the 10% Cycling UK discount.

Slick

Guru
Same in Paisley and Glasgow, I have asked each time as I've only ever heard of people on here having any issue, but I've always had the full discount even on the sale items.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I've had a problem a couple of times where they have said it only applies to cycle stuff. Wouldn't even give me the discount for bulbs for my bike rack. Other branches give the discount with no question, so now I just put the item back and go to another store.
I also have a Halfords Trade Card which isn't allowed on any cycle items.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As above, I've never had it refused on anything I've bought a Halfords from an air-freshener for the car right up to my Boardman Pro Carbon (which was on sale).

They also happily apply it to price matched items too - either their own web price or other retailers.

Sixmile

Veteran
My local Halfords were generally good until my last visit. They were fine giving me discount off bike products, even sale ones, but refused the few non bike related products that I bought. I asked the guy was he sure and because I'd got fantastic deals on a few other things I didn't want to push it. I have in the past had the British Cycling page open on my phone to show them but I see that it now specifically states that discount is only for bike related items and is not applicable on sale items...

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

*Terms and conditions
• Discount is supplied to British Cycling members with a valid British Cycling Membership card.
• 10% off is valid on any cycling-related purchase, excludes gift vouchers and Halfords Autocentres.
• May not be used in conjunction with any other voucher.
• Discount cannot be used in conjunction with other instore promotions.
• Discount not applicable on sale items.
• Discount can only be used once per transaction.
• Discount is not redeemable for cash.
• Exclusive to British Cycling Members.
• Discount is not redeemable online.

spen666

Legendary Member
My local Halfords were generally good until my last visit. They were fine giving me discount off bike products, even sale ones, but refused the few non bike related products that I bought. I asked the guy was he sure and because I'd got fantastic deals on a few other things I didn't want to push it. I have in the past had the British Cycling page open on my phone to show them but I see that it now specifically states that discount is only for bike related items and is not applicable on sale items...

*Terms and conditions
• Discount is supplied to British Cycling members with a valid British Cycling Membership card.
• 10% off is valid on any cycling-related purchase, excludes gift vouchers and Halfords Autocentres.

thanks for this. Clearly significantly tightened up criteria.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

*Terms and conditions

That's a huge downgrading of the benefit.
If applied to the letter, it means that the discount now only applies to full price goods which means it might not be much of a benefit at all.

Might be time to review the worth of BC membership at the next renewal....

J1888

Über Member
As above, I've never had it refused on anything I've bought a Halfords from an air-freshener for the car right up to my Boardman Pro Carbon (which was on sale).

They also happily apply it to price matched items too - either their own web price or other retailers.

Cycle Rep refused for my Pro Road Carbon SLR but I stuck at it and stood my ground...and got the discount.

J1888

Über Member
That's a huge downgrading of the benefit.
If applied to the letter, it means that the discount now only applies to full price goods which means it might not be much of a benefit at all.

Might be time to review the worth of BC membership at the next renewal....

Indeed, it definitely used to include sale items, as the BC website clearly (used to) state. They can naff off, only reason I joined BC!

Evenflow

I reckon it seems to be down to the branch and store staff.
My experience .....Edinburgh Cycle republic, Boardman Cxr9.2 £1999 reduced to £1799.
Accepted my BC card and got a further 10% off, £1620, good deal!
Maybe its the time of year and the 2018 ones are on the horizon but they didn't think twice, and when
I asked them if they wanted to see my card they said its ok we trust you. I'll be going back there I reckon.
I did initially email CR head office to ask about the 10% but they didn't really commit and just sent me
a copy of the terms and conditions as per BC website.
I think if they don't accept your card, walk away and leave the stuff on the counter, thats what I was prepared to do.
Think I may email BC and see what they say because the discount I have received over the years I've been a member
has more than paid for my membership.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Reading the posts in this thread, it seems that Halfords offer both Cycling UK and British Cycling members 10% discount (apologies if someone else has already made that point, I don't want to sift through the whole thread again). As a Cycling UK member I haven't had a problem getting the discount, might it be that there are more problems with BC than CUK for some reason?

J1888

Über Member
The BC website used to (i.e. in May when I bought my new bike) clearly state that the discount applied to all items, including sale.

The BC website now says that it doesn't include sale items, which makes the offer less attractive.

My guess would be that Halfords maybe reckon it was costing them too much?

Top Bottom