British Cycling or Cycling UK or doesn't it really matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
I see from the voting form that arrived with the latest issue of Cycle today that there are four vacancies for Cycling UK trustees. There are eight nominations, four endorsed by the nominations committee and four not. So that makes it fairly easy to work out which four to vote for :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I see from the voting form that arrived with the latest issue of Cycle today that there are four vacancies for Cycling UK trustees. There are eight nominations, four endorsed by the nominations committee and four not. So that makes it fairly easy to work out which four to vote for :smile:
In another place, we're trying to make a list of what countries require candidates to be approved by a government committee or commission or similar before being allowed to stand for election. North Korea, China and Cuba so far. Good models, eh? Does anyone know if any of them then recommend certain candidates?

ETA: at least mere mortals get a vote, which is still better than BC, where I think some leaders are very indirectly elected and others are appointed by government agencies.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Useful! That aside, the statements are predictably bland. I'm very much out of touch. Got any more lowdown?

swansonj

Guru
Useful! That aside, the statements are predictably bland. I'm very much out of touch. Got any more lowdown?
My copy of the papers got recycled last week I'm afraid so I can't reread them. But I have had two things pointed out to me:
- although four of the candidates receive particular endorsement from the nominations committee, all eight are in fact selected by Cycling Uk from a larger number of applicants. We never get to see, let alone vote on, that longer list and can only assume that any of the eight would be seen as acceptable by the incumbent leadership.
- one of them, David Chillingworth, is believed to be the former primus (as in archbishop not stove) of the Scottish Episcopal Church. The SEC are about to follow in the shoes of the Episcopal Church of the USA and be disciplined by Welby and his fellow-travelling African primates for having had the temerity during Chillingworth's period in charge to edge in the direction of equal marriage and generally showing slightly less homophobic tendencies than their English counterparts.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
My copy of the papers got recycled last week I'm afraid so I can't reread them. But I have had two things pointed out to me:
- although four of the candidates receive particular endorsement from the nominations committee, all eight are in fact selected by Cycling Uk from a larger number of applicants. We never get to see, let alone vote on, that longer list and can only assume that any of the eight would be seen as acceptable by the incumbent leadership.
- one of them, David Chillingworth, is believed to be the former primus (as in archbishop not stove) of the Scottish Episcopal Church. The SEC are about to follow in the shoes of the Episcopal Church of the USA and be disciplined by Welby and his fellow-travelling African primates for having had the temerity during Chillingworth's period in charge to edge in the direction of equal marriage and generally showing slightly less homophobic tendencies than their English counterparts.
You're not making it significantly easier to give a monkey's...

swansonj

Guru
I don't. Probably like you. I helped (in a modest way) fight against the charity conversion. As soon as that fight was lost, I lost all interest in the governance - my membership is no longer "membership" in any meaningful sense, it's just a commodity transaction, and I'm not going to waste any energy bewailing lost causes, however blatantly a piss take each successive act of executive capture is (and this one certainly is).

I don't think @swansonj was talking about that sort of primate.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Picked up my daughter’s new bike (Christmas present) from Halford’s today and the chaps behind the counter were telling me that Halfords won’t be offering Cycling UK members a discount from some point in the new year (he didn’t know when in comes into effect). Plus the CUK membership gets you discounts on cycling gear only in their store. The British Cycling membership will still receive a discount at Halfords for the foreseeable future and on all products in store (not just cycling stuff).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Picked up my daughter’s new bike (Christmas present) from Halford’s today and the chaps behind the counter were telling me that Halfords won’t be offering Cycling UK members a discount from some point in the new year (he didn’t know when in comes into effect). Plus the CUK membership gets you discounts on cycling gear only in their store. The British Cycling membership will still receive a discount at Halfords for the foreseeable future and on all products in store (not just cycling stuff).
The British Cycling membership discount is also only on cycling products, see https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts and I seriously doubt that a random counter worker is privy to whatever discount negotiations happen between the Halfords and CUK HQs. I suspect you may have met a BC zealot who is giving BCers a wider discount and rubbishing CUK.

petek

Über Member
Albeit seems to have gone all 'top-down and corporate' this past couple of years or so, it's still CUK for me. Been with em since CTC days and can't be ersed switching.
Horses for courses really though.
Choose whichever suits.
:smile:

Top Bottom