British motorsport could end due to EU ruling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sounds like ALL motorsport in Europe could end, not just in the UK. So why concentrate on the UK in the title?

Sounds a bit like the usual sledgehammer to crack a nut. A bit like the rulings on working at height a few years ago, that would have meant climbing instructors would have to be roped up at all times (as they were being paid), even while attempting to teach their clients to lead climb (said clients being exempt because they were not employees or self employed).

Or, in an opposite sense - when I was in teaching, there had to be a certain number of First Aiders for the number of employees in the school, as there would be in a factory or office. The fact there were 20 to 30 times the number of kids there as well was not taken into account...

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sounds like ALL motorsport in Europe could end, not just in the UK. So why concentrate on the UK in the title?
Because that was the title of the article I read on the ACU site.
It actually said 'British', not 'UK'.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Sounds a bit like the usual sledgehammer to crack a nut. A bit like the rulings on working at height a few years ago, that would have meant climbing instructors would have to be roped up at all times (as they were being paid), even while attempting to teach their clients to lead climb (said clients being exempt because they were not employees or self employed).

Or, in an opposite sense - when I was in teaching, there had to be a certain number of First Aiders for the number of employees in the school, as there would be in a factory or office. The fact there were 20 to 30 times the number of kids there as well was not taken into account...

The article is essentially a joint statement by the Auto Cycle Union and two other bodies, all of which represent motor cycling in the UK, nowhere else.

Hence they cannot properly claim to speak for motor cycle sport elsewhere.

My impression is their main concern is for grass roots amateur racers who operate on a shoestring.

They could be forced to stop competing by what would inevitably be a large premium.

This is the sort of matter we could settle for ourselves - one way or the other - without the need for EU interference.

In that respect, it's a good argument for Brexit.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
.......My impression is their main concern is for grass roots amateur racers who operate on a shoestring.

They could be forced to stop competing by what would inevitably be a large premium......
If implemented it would effectively stop all motorsport.

Quote:
"The insurance industry has made it clear to government that third party risks for motorsport activities are uninsurable, not least because of the sheer number of potential vehicle damage claims that would arise. Therefore, if implemented, the Vnuk judgment would wipe out all legal motor and motorcycle sport activity."

I wouldn't insure a racing driver or rider, would you?
I vaguely remember a payment having to be made and that was just for a track day

There are plenty insurers out there that do

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Public liability insurance and limited personal injury/death insurance is included in entry fees for competitive events.
What isn't included is any 3rd party cover, or cover for any material losses eg. damage to vehicles etc.
Anyone racing has to accept that it is entirely at their own risk.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Public liability insurance and limited personal injury/death insurance is included in entry fees for competitive events.
What isn't included is any cover for any material losses eg. damage to vehicles etc.
Anyone racing has to accept that it is entirely at their own risk.
I was pretty sure that was the case, it might be the circuit's that now need cover instead of their "Racing is dangerous" notices.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Circuits will pass the costs on to competitors.
and? Some will pay and some won't and some won't be able to.

It is a fairly niche fairly elitist sport from a participants point of view. If it means that the next Barry Sheene is undiscovered because they can't afford to compete not many will lose sleep.

Top Bottom