British motorsport could end due to EU ruling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out of curiosity does cycling road racing require third party insurance?

What would be the financial risk be to causing a pile up in a peleton?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Meh. The first article is complete and utter gobbledegook. Motor sport isn't uninsurable - just do a google search and you'll find dozens of providers. Compulsory third-party insurance only extends to insuring liability for injury, not for insuring third-party damage.

I'd be gobsmacked if any reputable organisation or racetrack managing motor sports doesn't already make insurance mandatory - the risks are far too high. Anyone who races without knowing that their competitors have insurance is a complete plank and should expect no sympathy when they're injured.

From the second link, because most member states were surprised by the interpretation of the Directive the European Commission is already thinking about amending it to remove the interpretation - that's a return to the current status quo. In the meantime the largest cost burden would fall on the MIB, which in practice means anyone who buys motor insurance of any kind. No thank you.

The most interesting part of the ruling from the perspective of this forum is the implication that e-bikes should be subject to compulsory insurance. That sounds retrograde to me.

S-Express

One word - exemptions. All you need, before it is written into law, is exemptions to cover motorsport, where this law was never intended to have an impact anyway.

(ex competitor in both two-wheeled and four-wheeled motorsport, btw).

S-Express

What level?

ACU Junior in motocross and AWDC Comp Safari Class 8

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
ACU Junior in motocross and AWDC Comp Safari Class 8
I raced at club level in MX and Enduro, national level in hill climbs and sprints, international level at drag racing and road racing ( on two and three wheels).
And yes, @GrumpyGregry I put everything and more into it at huge financial and personal cost.
If you've never been there, you'd never understand.
Would I change a thing?
Never!

Last edited:
Top Bottom