British Pro Team Announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennykool

I think I'd prefer Sky to take over coverage of TdeF. Eurosport if pretty ropey at the best of times - Tour of california was a perfect example of how bad it is!!!!

Sky would/will help rasie the profile of Cycling for future generations....gotta be a good thing!

mr-marty-martin

i personly dont think the big 3 will come to the gb team.. theres tio much cash at the teams there allready at, well for cav anyways

and isnt it going to be like astana, as arnt a certain amount of there riders from the teams home country, but then you can get a cartain amount of forigen ones...

Dave5N

Über Member
The Velvet Curtain said:
Only if you're willing to pay for it.

Missing the point. Sky are sponsoring the team, not controlling TV rights to a race or races.

This is great news for cycling in Britain. I can't believe how miserable you all are about it.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Dave5N said:
Missing the point. Sky are sponsoring the team, not controlling TV rights to a race or races.

This is great news for cycling in Britain. I can't believe how miserable you all are about it.

I'm with Dave5N as per the other thread. This is fabulous news, I'm really excited about it. Shedloads of dosh going into British cycling and all you lot can do is moan!! Boys! Get excited!!!

mondobongo

Über Member
At what having to pay SKY to watch Cycling in a few years time because that is whats going to happen.

Just look at what they have done to football.

Dave5N

Über Member
mondobongo said:
At what having to pay SKY to watch Cycling in a few years time because that is whats going to happen.

Just look at what they have done to football.

Jesus. They are sponsoring a team, not buying rights.

Do you want big sponsors in cycling or not? SOmetimes I think y'all want to keep it small and underfunded and crap 'cos that's what you're used to.

montage

God Almighty
I agree with Dave, this is GREAT.

And the big three have allready expressed interest, especially as their Barloworld contracts draw to an end..

Skip Madness

kennykool said:
I think I'd prefer Sky to take over coverage of TdeF. Eurosport if pretty ropey at the best of times - Tour of california was a perfect example of how bad it is!!!!
The Tour of California balls-ups were beyond Eurosport's control, though - they could only play the hand they were dealt by the host broadcaster in the United States. There are plenty of reasons to kick Eurosport, but they could not have done much more regarding California.
Dave5N said:
Jesus. They are sponsoring a team, not buying rights.

Do you want big sponsors in cycling or not? SOmetimes I think y'all want to keep it small and underfunded and crap 'cos that's what you're used to.
I think everyone wants more decent sponsorship for cycling, but it is right to question the motives behind Sky's backing. At the moment they are just sponsoring a team and not buying rights, but I think some wariness about where it will lead is well-placed.

Personally, I am cautiously optimistic for the cause of cycling as it ought to continue the profile boost in this country. That said, I really do not think I will be able to bring myself to cheer on a team called Team Sky. Quite apart from the Murdoch connection, they continue to make the most vile television (employing Noel Edmonds in the process). If I was a rider I would not want to be associated with it.

Dave5N

Über Member
Skip Madness said:
The Tour of California balls-ups were beyond Eurosport's control, though - they could only play the hand they were dealt by the host broadcaster in the United States. There are plenty of reasons to kick Eurosport, but they could not have done much more regarding California.

I think everyone wants more decent sponsorship for cycling, but it is right to question the motives behind Sky's backing. At the moment they are just sponsoring a team and not buying rights, but I think some wariness about where it will lead is well-placed.

Personally, I am cautiously optimistic for the cause of cycling as it ought to continue the profile boost in this country. That said, I really do not think I will be able to bring myself to cheer on a team called Team Sky. Quite apart from the Murdoch connection, they continue to make the most vile television (employing Noel Edmonds in the process). If I was a rider I would not want to be associated with it.

I am sure Mr Brailsford is very, very grateful for your support.

Dave5N

Über Member
Skip Madness said:

So the Amgen Tour of California is ok then?
ffs

Top Bottom