British Pro Team Announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

Cathryn said:
So what...British Cycling should wait for 'ethical' companies to sponsor them? Come on, be realistic.
I did not say that, although there is nothing wrong with the principle. As I said before, the creation of Team Sky will offer the chance for riders and management to get to the big time and offer them a bigger platform from which they can then call some shots on better sponsorship. I am just saying why I, personally, find it hard to see myself getting behind this new team.
John the Monkey]One of San Diego said:
Yes, I saw that when I was searching. I do not really see how Amgen can be blamed for it, though.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think it's great that British cyclists will now get some of the same opportunities that Belgian, French, Italian and German cyclists have. I'm not any kind of nationalist and see no reason why I should demand that people get behind this team, and I am certainly no friend of Richard Murdoch, but there aren't really many downsides to this are there? It could put cycling both competitive and everyday on a more normal and sustainable (ahem...) footing in Britain.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this posted on the CTC forum...we'll jump on any commercial message or database collecting ruse.

We know you’re passionate about cycling and we wanted you to be amongst the first to know about the creation of a professional British road cycling team - Team Sky.

Team Sky hopes to create the first British winner of the Tour De France within the next five years and inspire more people, to get on their bikes and enjoy the positive benefits of cycling.

Competing from the start of 2010, Team Sky will have a core of British riders, coaches and support staff and will be managed by David Brailsford who, as you know, led Britain’s Olympic team to its inspiring 14 medal haul.

Team Sky is just part of Sky’s commitment to cycling, as a Principal Partner of British Cycling we’re looking to fuel the sport from grass roots to professional level. We are also developing more inspiring events, like last year’s Sky Sports London Freewheel, to make cycling fun, easy and accessible to all.

We look forward to hearing what you have to say and if you want us to, we’ll be happy to come back and update you on any new developments.

Thanks
Sky Sports Team

Dave5N

Über Member
dellzeqq said:
this posted on the CTC forum...we'll jump on any commercial message or database collecting ruse.

We know you’re passionate about cycling and we wanted you to be amongst the first to know about the creation of a professional British road cycling team - Team Sky.

Team Sky hopes to create the first British winner of the Tour De France within the next five years and inspire more people, to get on their bikes and enjoy the positive benefits of cycling.

Competing from the start of 2010, Team Sky will have a core of British riders, coaches and support staff and will be managed by David Brailsford who, as you know, led Britain’s Olympic team to its inspiring 14 medal haul.

Team Sky is just part of Sky’s commitment to cycling, as a Principal Partner of British Cycling we’re looking to fuel the sport from grass roots to professional level. We are also developing more inspiring events, like last year’s Sky Sports London Freewheel, to make cycling fun, easy and accessible to all.

We look forward to hearing what you have to say and if you want us to, we’ll be happy to come back and update you on any new developments.

Thanks
Sky Sports Team

Normal PR activity if you ask me. They said who they were, so no problem AFAIAC.

ANd I do want them to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's good news - far too little cash going into UK Pro Teams for many years....

Not un-expected...the marketing hype will increase the profile of cycling over here.....

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Actually, the voice of reason was the OP, it's all the rest of yous that started talking carp!

Anyway, the latest is that they have appointed Scott Sunderland as sporting director - an excellent appointment IMHO.

Dave5N

Über Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Actually, the voice of reason was the OP, it's all the rest of yous that started talking carp!

Anyway, the latest is that they have appointed Scott Sunderland as sporting director - an excellent appointment IMHO.

Remind me, who was the OPer?

And I didn't talk carp. Not this time, anyway! :evil:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cavendish on Team Sky speculation;

“It isn't just the fact that I am under contract, it's the fact that I am more than happy at Columbia. That's all I can say about it, really.

“It's great for British cycling that there's going to be a team, and perhaps the interest in road cycling from major companies has come partly off the back of my success, but that doesn't mean I'll be going there."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...down_Team_Sky_speculation_article_277919.html

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
yello said:
Pretty much what one should have realistically expected. Imo, at least.

Yep - I can't find the reference anywhere, but I do seem to remember him saying after the Olympics that he'd been unimpressed by his treatment in TeamGB, and wouldn't be beating a path to their door should the road team come off. I think a lot of the speculation is due to the public and some journalists assuming that a national cycling team would work along the lines of a national football team.

Top Bottom