British sense of humour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ex-forces are like that too (I work with quite a few). It's probably normal human psychology, tribalism, othering, yada yada ...

A practical problem is jargon.

When two or more coppers gather together, they immediately slip into policespeak.

From experience, I can understand some of it, but a member of the public has no chance.

stephec

Legendary Member
I used to work for a German company and when we met for meetings in Germany there was a lot of leg pulling about the war. We Brits used to say we bombed your factories and they would reply well, we bombed your fish and chip shops.
The manager who used to oversee the British sales operations spent a lot of time in the U.K. and his favourite comedy TV program was ‘Allo, Allo’ . So it’s not all one sided.

Never in a million years would I have had the Germans down as Stan Boardman fans.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is probably one of the most insightful things I've ever read about the war.

Sounds insightful at first blush, but it tries to establish a cause and effect link where there is none.

I doubt many Germans would have seen losing as a good thing in the immediate aftermath, and for however many decades they had to suffer a divided country and being viewed as international pariahs.

That Germany has recovered well from the war after close to 80 years is undeniable, but to say that's thanks to them losing is nonsense.

Ex-forces are like that too (I work with quite a few). It's probably normal human psychology, tribalism, othering, yada yada ...
One of my drinking pals is a retired police inspector. He gets loads of joke circulated via texts and online from his circle of retired cops.

They are 90% racist or sexist/obscene and we have asked him not to circulate them to the rest of us. A retired fireman friend says a very similar story about humour in the fire service.

The son of a colleague was dismissed from the police force because of the mysoginist jokes and comments he was circulating and passing on from others about another cop facing charges of sexual abuse. His defence that, as a fairly new recruit, he was only doing it to fit in with his colleagues did not help him.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I doubt the masses of East German women raped by the Soviets before the entire population was put under the jackboot of Communist rule for 50 years thought losing the war was a good thing.

That Germany has recovered well from the war after close to 80 years is undeniable, but to say that's thanks to them losing is nonsense.
After the national disaster of losing two world wars in a short period Germany had to have a total reboot, politically, socially and economically, which they did. They have moved on in a very positive way as a result.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I doubt the masses of East German women raped by the Soviets before the entire population was put under the jackboot of Communist rule for 50 years thought losing the war was a good thing.

A modern hard of thinking young German adult might say losing the war was a good thing.

All he can properly say is that losing a war in 1945 has done him, personally, no harm.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A modern hard of thinking young German adult might say losing the war was a good thing.

All he can properly say is that losing a war in 1945 has done him, personally, no harm.
download.jpeg

"
matticus said:
"

One of my drinking pals is a retired police inspector. He gets loads of joke circulated via texts and online from his circle of retired cops.

They are 90% racist or sexist/obscene and we have asked him not to circulate them to the rest of us. A retired fireman friend says a very similar story about humour in the fire service.

The son of a colleague was dismissed from the police force because of the mysoginist jokes and comments he was circulating and passing on from others about another cop facing charges of sexual abuse. His defence that, as a fairly new recruit, he was only doing it to fit in with his colleagues did not help him.
As you quoted me in your post, I want to make the record straight:
I haven't seen that behaviour from my ex-forces colleagues, nor from my ex-police colleagues/friends.

(Which ins't to say your testimony is incorrect, of course.)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
American humour. There’s some brilliant stuff. Steve Martin’s stand-up skit about taking hostages (« I finally got myself something I always wanted …… hostages ») so that he can demand the letter « C » be erased from the English language is tremendous, and just as surreal as anything in British comedy.

Anyone who thinks the Yanks don't do irony, clearly hasn't watched any episodes of M*A*S*H.

Thats how it works in reality though isn't it, that's how the toxic culture builds, and is excused..

If you don't go along with 'the in joke culture' however distasteful, you're ostracised.

Not being 'in the gang' doesn't bode so well for career progression.

It's all about 'face' right ??

After the national disaster of losing two world wars in a short period Germany had to have a total reboot, politically, socially and economically, which they did. They have moved on in a very positive way as a result.

All war is terrible, and usually starts from the lowest points of ego, greed, violence and inflated sense of superiority, whether of tribe race or nation.

But this, ridiculous hyper-mythologising of 'The Plucky Brits at War' that some people go in for, could do with binning.

As a nation at that time, alongside our allies, we exhibited courage, industry , ingenuity and forbearance.

Alongside all the other usual human traits of cowardice, greed, cruelty, and selfishness..

Germany has learnt from it.

It's very constitution guards against the possibility of the rise of such ideas from happening again.

Europe being set up to work together, with closer ties as a group, of nations, was also partly to do with preventing further wars..

It's worked so far.

Many Brits seem to have got stuck in a very unhelpful place of unfounded self glorification about the whole enterprise.

Oh that and 'Empire' as well.

Of course we were quicker than the Americans to get involved.

It was right on our doorstep ffs.

Self protection, is a great motivator, right ??..

We have always however been net benefisheries when it comes to piscine puns - their plaice is sacrosanct in our great British lexicon :rolleyes:

Top Bottom