Votes: 11 25.0%
  • BT

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • TalkTalk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
BT put fibre to near or village and didnt tell anyone so might be best to check if there is one nearby (FTTC - fibre to the cabinet) Will still use copper wire to your house but should be quicker.

I live nowhere near fibre and use a dish on the side of the house to link into Internet but not near the speed of out old BT infinity. Otherwise its ASDL!

BT have installed fibre in the vicinity, but I live up a farm track, so I presume that's the problem. I'm not overly fussed about the BB speed, it would just be nice for BT to have some competition.

contadino

Veteran
Looks good but £8.00 a month more than equivalent service from other providers.

I paid £35/mo with bt and I pay £37/mo with Zen. I'm moving in a few weeks and then my bill goes down to £31/mo with Zen but my speed goes up from 30-odd Mbps to 80 mbps.

Ymmv

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up until around Christmas last year I'd have recommended BT despite the higher price.
However we started having an intermittent fault that either massively slowed down our connection (to 1 or 2 Mbps) or dropped it altogether.
They took an age to sort it, messed us about horrendously, missed several engineer appointments (simply didn't turn up, wasting my annual leave) and only fixed it due to pure luck as the fault occured when an engineer was on site with his diagnostic kit plugged in - turns out water had gotten into the connection on the telegraph pole and rotted everything in there.
Ever since it's been okay but we rarely get the full speed we pay for but they're not interested.

I've heard good things about Plusnet and Zen and really should change, but inertia is a terrible thing.

tom73

Guru
My next door neighbour phoned BT to see about going back to them. They told him they’d charge him £265 connection fee. He asked why higher than they list online. She told him it was to connect his house to telegraph pole. We have you down as not connected. My neighbour told her he could see the pole from his front window as he was on the phone to her. He asked if not connected how come he can see a line from pole to his house. (and like us has in past been with bt)
She told him i don’t know why but we have you down as not connect and it would still cost £265.
Needless to say he’s not switch.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
Plus, the amount of internet shopping I do, I would need to update so many sites with a new email address which would be a right pain.
You should try to avoid using an email address from you supplier for that very reason. Gmail is free and you can take it with you when you leave - other free email services exist of course

I've been with Zen for over 20 years. I don't think they are the cheapest, but it just works. I've rarely had to use their technical help, however when I have, it's been a conversation with somebody in the UK who is a) interested and b) really knows their stuff - clearly not following a script.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here, 50 odds too. I can’t remember when I last even used the landline either. Just keeps going up and up, and you’ve to put up with the constant ads on tv of their much better deals for new customers! :angry:

With BT too, but it's been 100% reliable. I also have their New Hub2 and Mesh disc system which is great - no need for the older wifi extenders which meant I had to switch over the WIFI on the laptop when I took it into the garage for Zwift - with mesh it just relays the signal and automatically switches over to the strong signal. Main hub with two wifi repeater discs - on on far side of lounge and one in the garage.

Lozz360

Veteran
I assume you have a Talk Talk email addy
I've kept and used a Talk Talk email addy for about 13 years, yet are rarely a customer of them, although i have a few other email addys as well.
Only now is it going to become only for TT customers, so i was informed recently.
But Gmail is my predominant email addy.
Oh dear. That is not good news. My main email address is a Tiscali one. Tiscali were taken over by TalkTalk in 2009. I ceased to be a customer of Tiscali before 2009 but carried on using the address.

Smudge

Veteran
Oh dear. That is not good news. My main email address is a Tiscali one. Tiscali were taken over by TalkTalk in 2009. I ceased to be a customer of Tiscali before 2009 but carried on using the address.

Yes, i had a mail from TalkTalk about it.
From 14th Sept, this email service will only be free for TT customers. If you're not a TT customer you have to pay £5 pm or £50 py to keep this mail address. After the 14th, you will only be able to check your mails, not reply or do anything else.
In the next few months, accounts will closed down for those that aren't a customer or dont pay the charge.

I've been with plusnet for as long as i can remember but lately they have been trying my patience somewhat. For some reason, 3 weeks ago they downgraded me from fibre to an unusable standard ADSL connection and i've spend a lot of time since trying to get them to sort it out. It's been a complete comedy of errors and im very very close to telling them where to stick it.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I've been with plusnet for as long as i can remember but lately they have been trying my patience somewhat. For some reason, 3 weeks ago they downgraded me from fibre to an unusable standard ADSL connection and i've spend a lot of time since trying to get them to sort it out. It's been a complete comedy of errors and im very very close to telling them where to stick it.

Thats not good, have they given any explanation ? Plusnet is on my shortlist as is John Lewiss who use the Plusnet system, for a few quid more with John Lewiss they are offering a Google Home Hub and free evening and weekend calls although the call options are not needed.

What really annoys me about broadband and insurance companies, is they way they penalise loyal customers, you would think offering the best deal at the end of a contract would be the best way of retaining customers, I guess a lot of people must just accept the price increase.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
The decision is made, Vodaphone 63 Mbps £23 per month, plus £100 Amazon vouher. now I have changed my emails to Gmail, I can see me changing at every contract end to take advantage of freebie enticements.

vickster

Legendary Member
The decision is made, Vodaphone 63 Mbps £23 per month, plus £100 Amazon vouher. now I have changed my emails to Gmail, I can see me changing at every contract end to take advantage of freebie enticements.
See whether you can also get cash back through Quidco

Search on Vodafone ;)

Smudge

Veteran
I've been with Plusnet for a few years now, but every year i get them to price match the cheapest deal i can get. If there comes a time when they wont, i'll be off.
Currently pay £22.90 p/m for broadband, line rental and anytime calls.

My deal with Plusnet finishes in a few weeks, so i thought i'd better do the usual comparison site and threaten to leave them.
My broadband, line rental and anytime calls is now £19.95 p/m with Plusnet for the next 12 months. £3 p/m saving on last year, just for 10 minutes work.

Top Bottom