Broadwith's end-to-end attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
I guess it's because they'd have to do a load of training that wouldn't be optimal for racing and they may have to miss shoelaces*. And racing is their bread and butter.

The genius of autocorrect. "Some races"
I guess I was thinking that they are willing enough to take time off from road racing to tackle the hour. OK, that's higher prestige, but still involves retraining as I understand it. I just wondered if someone like Wiggins might have fancied giving it a go at the end of a season or the end of his career or something.

Edit: as I am demonstrating, I know fairly little about professional racing....

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I guess I was thinking that they are willing enough to take time off from road racing to tackle the hour. OK, that's higher prestige, but still involves retraining as I understand it. I just wondered if someone like Wiggins might have fancied giving it a go at the end of a season or the end of his career or something.

The hour only takes an hour, and you don't even have to go outside.

snorri

Legendary Member
Well, that was over in a flash!
He had one very bright front light and was leading three vehicles, some with amber flashing lights.
I got friendly waves so assume they are in good spirits:smile:

Attachments

• DSCF8171.JPG
    DSCF8171.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 67

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well, that was over in a flash!
He had one very bright front light and was leading three vehicles, some with amber flashing lights.
I got friendly waves so assume they are in good spirits:smile:

Given they've just posted this on Twitter - I think your encouragement is appreciated :okay:

"He could not need you more. Anyone north of Inverness please please give him a massive shout. It makes a big difference."

MikeG

Guru
Excellent! Fantastic achievement.

I wonder if Andy Wilkinson is thinking to himself "can I do it one more time?"

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Is there a reason why the professionals don't tackle this record? How would you expect a rider in Grand Tour form to fare at it?
Because it doesn't pay.

Grand Tours seem to be about relatively short bursts of effort (usually an hour at most), and about how quickly you can recover between bursts.

For a very long record you'd need to train for years, and then have at most one shot in a year. That's not sponsor friendly.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well, somehow I managed to miss this completely. Needless to say he passed the end of my road, as will anyone who's having a go at this. So I'm afraid there are no bad photos from me this time.

Had I finished my ride a little later I might've got a flyby...

Well done Michael!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Because it doesn't pay.

Grand Tours seem to be about relatively short bursts of effort (usually an hour at most), and about how quickly you can recover between bursts.

For a very long record you'd need to train for years, and then have at most one shot in a year. That's not sponsor friendly.
Just re reading wiggos book and he says the same, some days you can sit in all day and average 190 watts , then go nuts for the last bit. Jens Voigt had a similar bit i have seen saying its not producing XX watts for 5 hours its the XX he needed to make .

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm just astounded that a human is capable of such an achievement, I doubt I could do it in 44 days, let alone 44 hours

Top Bottom