Broken bike

Would you expect for the manufacturer to?

• Offer a replacement frame free as goodwill?

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • The 300 + vat is reasonable?

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Offer a replacement frame at a lower cost?

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shaftonred

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I am a complete newbie to bikes and to this site.

I am looking for some advice having recently bought a full carbon road bike and damaging it. I paid £800 for a bike previously on sale for £1300 and was recommended to buy a full carbon frame over some of the others I was looking at. I took the advise which at the time didn't mention anything about the strength of the frame and was hooked after my first 24 mile ride.

I went to get the bike out of my garage 3 days after buying the bike and knocked it over in my carpeted garage. Unfortunately the bike fell onto my plastic lawn mower and damaged the frame, whilst still rideable the carbon is damaged and feels soft to touch. I took it back to the shop, explained about what had happen stating that whilst it was my fault I couldn't believe it would break the frame by simply falling over! They have called me back having spoken to the uk distributor who said that they would sell me a full frame set for £300 + vat.... Does this sound reasonable and do you agree that such a small fall should break the frame?

I hoped that the company would be a bit more customer focused and understanding rather than asking me to pay another 360... Appreciate your thoughts.

screenman

Legendary Member
I do not see why they should be out of pocket due to something that was your fault.

OP
OP
S

shaftonred

Agree it was my fault but surely a fall (from a stood up position) onto a plastic lawn mower shouldn't break a frame? If I had a crash at any speed then I would accept it but for this to happen makes me question the strength of the bike.

Archeress

Veteran
I'm sorry but if I could afford a bike that expensive I would have been ultra careful with it whether it were carbon or aluminium. If it were my fault I would not expect any manufacturer to make me any offers. Carbon whilst strong is not unbreakable and the edge of any object is going to impart a significant whack. My only option in your case would be to check my contents insurance, cycle insurance or if I paid with a credit card whether there was anything they could do, but again I would not expect anything given it was my own fault. I would just chalk it up to experience and pay up.

Hugs
Archeress x

young Ed

Veteran
what make/ model is bike?
but yes i agree £300+20% VAT is £360 and is reasonable for a full carbon frame set. carbon is fragile and you do have to be careful, as you have learnt
Cheers Ed

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Agree it was my fault but surely a fall (from a stood up position) onto a plastic lawn mower shouldn't break a frame? If I had a crash at any speed then I would accept it but for this to happen makes me question the strength of the bike.

that does.sound shockingly.flimsy it must be said. Are carbon frames really that weak in general? Think I might stick to steel - and not being all luddite either - carbon was tempting on on engineering grounds - but new frame 'cause bike fell over - really?!?!

OP
OP
S

shaftonred

It's a Mekk Poggio... Gutted was an understatement having spent hours setting up a wall bracket and protection to store my new pride and joy... Just didn't expect such a small fall would cause so much damage or that they would want to charge so much when they would pay a fraction of the price to buy and import these in. Will try and get a couple of pics up tomorrow, ive ridden it once but not sure of the effect it will have on the strength of the frame

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
that does.sound shockingly.flimsy it must be said. Are carbon frames really that weak in general? Think I might stick to steel - and not being all luddite either - carbon was tempting on on engineering grounds - but new frame 'cause bike fell over - really?!?!

No, carbon frames are not weak in general.
But hit it hard the wrong way then it will suffer damage. It just one of those unfortunate things that happens. My carbon jobbie has fallen over many times with ne'er a scratch.
shoot happens.

AndyRM

XOXO
An expensive, but reasonable solution. That sort of fall could easily dent an aluminium frame, depending on what angles and speeds were involved.

As others have said, carbon is not a weak material and can be damaged like any other in an impact. I suspect the occasional fantastic looking failure is the reason for the myth that it will break if you breathe on it.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I'm awaiting the return of my advanced defy frame ,the rear chain stay had a small dent in it,carbon deteriates inside out on this case so full bike strip and off to the menders,did send a few pictures to giant but ,road derbris has caused damage so my fault

albion

Guru
that does.sound shockingly.flimsy it must be said. Are carbon frames really that weak in general? Think I might stick to steel... really?!?!

From what I understand carbon fibres strength is directional. So with a sideways force the strength is puny.
And that sounds like what happened to Contadors spare bike on that roof rack. It broke when the bike got sideways swiped by another one !

Top Bottom