Broken Chain Single Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I have had broken chains on derailleur bicycles on several occasion, the fix is easy, take out a link and rejoin the chain and restrict gear changes to the chains usable length.
Yesterday was a first while putting in a big effort to crest a short steep rise on the single speed the chain bust a link, no problem I was only 1/2 mile from home so I was not going to mess about at the side of the road so walked home ( SPDs so no duck walk) but what could I have done anyway.? track ends on the frame so removing a link would have left the chain too short.
Its something I have never thought of in all my years of cycling and I will in future take a couple of spare links when single speed/fixed riding.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have had broken chains on derailleur bicycles on several occasion, the fix is easy, take out a link and rejoin the chain and restrict gear changes to the chains usable length.
Yesterday was a first while putting in a big effort to crest a short steep rise on the single speed the chain bust a link, no problem I was only 1/2 mile from home so I was not going to mess about at the side of the road so walked home ( SPDs so no duck walk) but what could I have done anyway.? track ends on the frame so removing a link would have left the chain too short.
Its something I have never thought of in all my years of cycling and I will in future take a couple of spare links when single speed/fixed riding.

I've only ever broke a chain on a fixed once, around 1990, in my case the chain was very old. I suspect it might be a rare and unusual occurrence.

XC26

Happened to me once, 10 miles from home. I called the home bicycle breakdown service, aka wife, to pedal out with a spare chain and meet me part way home. The broken chain in question was unbranded, original to the bike and painted white - the kind found on many trendy single speed bikes. It just snapped on the outer side plates and fell to the road. I always stock and fit decent chains when they need replacing, usually Wippermann or KMC. Finally, since that incident, I now carry a few spare links of various chain types (usually the leftovers after a new fitting) in my pocket toolkit, which also has a multi-tool that has a diddy chain riveter. I have tested the diddy chain riveter once and it worked, but I would only ever use it in an emergency.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not seeing the problem - are you implying that you managed to bust an inner link?

Track ends not drop outs, just joining the chain was likely to leave the chain too short, its why people riding fixed tend to carry a few chain links with them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Track ends not drop outs, just joining the chain was likely to leave the chain too short, its why people riding fixed tend to carry a few chain links with them.
I think the suggestion was that it is likely that only one outer pair of plates need to be replaced and a quicklink would do that and leave the chain the same length.

I haven't snapped a chain on my singlespeed bike but it is something that I have worried about so I carry a length of spare chain PLUS spare quicklinks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the suggestion was that it is likely that only one outer pair of plates need to be replaced and a quicklink would do that and leave the chain the same length.
Just so. I like Sheldon Brown's comment on track ends: "A current fad has led to the revival of this inferior forkend style for single speed bikes" :laugh:

Nevertheless, I do have track ends on one bike instead of the much simpler horizontal dropouts, but they're still deep enough that I reckon if I had to sacrifice a pair of links because of a bust inner, I could get a usable (if imperfect) tension with the wheel half an inch forwards. I think I have to leave that much forward movement in order to slacken the chain enough to derail it so I can get the wheel out without breaking the chain.

D

Deleted member 1258

I haven't snapped a chain on my singlespeed bike but it is something that I have worried about so I carry a length of spare chain PLUS spare quicklinks.

I've never used a quick link, I've always used a tool to join and break a chain. I was thinking it was likely that by the time you'd removed the damaged link and joined the chain the chain might be too short, but that depends on how far up the trackend you have the wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Hall

<snip> a multi-tool that has a diddy chain riveter. I have tested the diddy chain riveter once and it worked, but I would only ever use it in an emergency.
For a fully functional yet diddy chain riveter, the Park Tools CT5 is the one to go for.
CT-5_009.jpg

Crankarm

Guru

Are you looking for a chain reaction? Here's the link you need http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-chain-connectors/rp-prod25439

Top Bottom