Broken collarbone. Real world recovery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Interesting account - I did mine on a simple trip back from town and had to take the T shirt off I had on in the hospital, absolute agony, and then put it back on after the x-ray, more agony, and then take it off again when back home. Button up shirts since and slip on shoes. Having first blamed myself for taking a corner too fast, the GPS data implies I was going at well below walking pace and far slower than I have taken the corner on my other bike. Road holding of the 25mm tyres on the new bike were the next suspect until it was pointed out to me that the flat tyre was probably not the result of the crash but the cause. Whatever have invested in some 28mm Clement Strada LLGs.

Colin_P

Guru
I clean snapped my right collar bone back in the 80's on day one of what was the summer hols from school.

I remember six weeks of misery and maybe beyond.

si_c

Guru
When I broke my clavicle I was in the process of writing my PhD thesis, so like you was unable to work as it was my right shoulder. Very frustrating.

I had surgery though, and was working after 3 weeks and back on my bike as normal after 6 weeks, fully able to support myself. If given the opportunity I think it is well worth the potential side effects

I also found the physio to be worth the time and effort.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The first 3 times I broke collarbones (left twice, right once) they healed OK but the last break was a nasty one that didn't heal. As I'd broken it right on the end there wasn't enough to pin/plate it and as the Consultant said "if you're going to continue riding bikes then you'd be best leaving it, if I put a plate in and you fall on it again you'll be in a lot of trouble"
So I now live with a permanently broken left collarbone.

S-Express

Hopefully it's helpful to those who have recently suffered the same injury and are looking for information on the healing and recovery process and timescales without surgical intervention.

That's hardly normal, given that every collarbone break is likely to be different. It's only useful to someone who has exactly the same injury, combined with identical age age/health/physiological conditions. My own experience of a broken collarbone is that I was back racing again after five weeks.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
This is true. A shortening of one shoulder by 2cm will have long-term effects on the musculature on that side, including the muscles of the upper arm. It isn't a trivial side-effect, in my experience. Given that clavicle plates are now very lightweight and well-engineered, and can be removed once the bone has healed, I'm not sure that avoiding surgery at all costs is always the best approach to a clavicle that is so badly broken and displaced.
Agreed, the benefits of surgery do seem significant and unless there is a good clinical reason to avoid surgery I don't see a reason not to do it.

I don't notice my clavicle plates at all, aside from being visible under the skin, and the very occasional skin pinch if wearing a backpack (I wear one daily), I was advised that although they can be removed, unless there is discomfort it is better to just leave them in.

si_c

Guru
I was offered the chance to have my clavicle plate removed or shortened, but I was reluctant as it bridges a 6cm bone graft (long story), and I was fed up with having surgery after several bouts, so I still have it. Like you, I find backpacks a bit uncomfortable but otherwise it's fine.
For me it's not even all the time, it's usually when I have an odd sized item in the backpack and it doesn't sit right, and even then not always. I do find that using the sternum and hip straps make it a bit more comfortable. Overall it's a trade off I am quite happy to make, although in my case it wasn't an option as the clavicle had more than one break so there was quite a bit of displacement.

Mike_P

Guru
Back to the hospital today for a X ray - seems to be healing okay so a further appointment for 4 weeks (will then be 6 weeks)

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I found it quite a long and painful recovery, but it was quite badly broken into 3 pieces and has a titanium plate and a total of 8 screws. Surgeon didn't recommend removing it again unless it was causing any major problems which it hasn't. I would hate to land on it again in a fall though as I have visions of the plate and screws coming apart and poking through the skin or something! Probably wouldn't. Just my vivid imagination.

OP
OP
D

DisjointedReality

Nothing - which is kind of the point I was making if you read the rest of my post.
My reply to you was held up waiting for moderation, and was made before you edited your post.
The blog post is an account of my experience and recovery process. Although not fully healed, I was back on the bike in a little over 5 weeks.

Mike_P

Guru
My reply to you was held up waiting for moderation, and was made before you edited your post.
The blog post is an account of my experience and recovery process. Although not fully healed, I was back on the bike in a little over 5 weeks.
Any issue with where you rode? Have read that stressing / vibrating the collar bone should be avoided for some time and rough tracks should be avoided. The only way I have to/from home that does not involve a hill is on a gavel track through a country park.

Top Bottom