Real world fuel economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Does anyone calculate just what their economy is vs computer ?
Couple of my latest fill ups come out at,....
Today, computer states 55.3 mpg, brimming method works out to 54.2mpg. That'saverage over 300 plus miles of mixed driving.
Last week was 55.5 vs 52.93.

Mazda 2.0 petrol.

I do drive for economy, but not like a snail.

I think the manufacturer states 60mpg is extra economy...I can achieve that on non stop runs.
So its not really that far out at all imo.

Anyone got their comparisons ?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The manufacturer’s figure for combined economy on my 1.2 Škoda Fabia Greenline is 83.1mpg

I tested it four months ago on a longish run of 126 miles, brimming it at either end, and here is the result:

Displayed mpg on the trip computer: 87.9

Distance: 126 miles (only 14 of which were motorway)
Avg speed: 41mph
Fuel used: 6.69L

Which equates to 85.7mpg, so I was really happy with that.

I didn’t try so hard on the return route and achieved only 84.1mpg (indicated). I didn’t fill it up again to confirm.

(A professional eco-driver (hypermiler?) drove the car at its launch and covered 1,246 miles on a single 45-litre tank of fuel, at an average of 127.8mpg. Eek!)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I usually do, however my current ride's not posh enough to have an on-board economy facility so the only think I have to compare it to is published figures.

I think book for combined is something like 42mpg; over three years I've averaged about 46mpg.. probably because that didn't include a lot of urban driving and I tend to waft along at a sedate pace with good hazard perception. Except on the odd occasion I drive like a total b*stard.

One must remember that brimming the tank will incur some sort of error, and I'd hope that modern vehicles pull consumption from injector duration so should be pretty accurate.

Jody

Stubborn git
I have every fuel receipt and relative mileage for my car for the past 11 years and 11 months. I really should stick it all on a spreadsheet

https://www.fuelly.com/

Online spreadsheet that will do the figures for you and also show how your vehicle/engine compares against others.

Jody

Stubborn git
I tend to only calculate it occasionally now.

Real world its 36mpg on the trip computer but adjusted for LPG and it's slight calorific loss means the PPM cost is around 60mpg.

It's not driven economically.

Reactions: gbb
I have a Volvo V90 T4 2.0l Petrol which Volvo reckon should return 38mpg.

I’ve averaged 41.5 mpg in the 3.5k miles I’ve had it for, which rather surprisingly corresponds exactly to the trip computer’s figure.

I don’t think that’s too bad for a car the size of the Queen Mary - although I do drive like a little old lady. 😂

Business users need to claim for milleage, often on several different accounts. Do any modern, computer-laden models have trip/account/download milleage claim capability?

Drago

Legendary Member
In the 2008 I do about 60mpg in normal driving, high 60's on a longer run. On empty roads I can push that into the 70s, but 67 to 69 mpg is good enough most of the time and let's me keep with the traffic at legal speeds. I have done the brim to brim calculation a couple of time and never been more than 1mpg out from the on board pooter.

Fortunately im a laid back driver, so slow even my 78 year old mum gets impatient, and that style has always worked well to get me good MPG figures in any car.

Mrs D does about £26 a month in electricity.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Business users need to claim for milleage, often on several different accounts. Do any modern, computer-laden models have trip/account/download milleage claim capability?

My 2008 allows you to connect your phone to it and you can download all the driving data in the form of an XLS spreadsheet, so someone with moderate computer skills could easily automate it. More modern cars would, one would hope, be even better.

Top Bottom