Real world fuel economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Mazda computers on recent cars are pretty accurate. The one on my 10-year old MX-5 underestimates mpg by about 5%. I had an old BMW 320D for a while where the computer grossly overestimated mpg, so 52mpg was about 45mpg in the real world.

My current Mazda 3 does 60mpg on a reasonable run with no town driving. It's got the oh-so-clever SkyActiv-X engine although it is (yuck) an auto, because someone else needs to drive it.

Mazda offer the 2.0 SkyActiv-X alongside the 2.5 SkyActiv-G (identical bhp) in some overseas markets and wonder why it doesn't sell. Well, the X is £2k more than the G and only Europe cares about fuel economy. Really, the Mazda marketing department needs a boot up the backside.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Honestly, I never achieve anything like the figures I have read on various forums for any vehicle I have owned.

Our current car has averaged 35.2mpg in 3660 miles in one year of ownership.

I go on VW forums and other owners are seemingly averaging 50-60 +.

I can get to 50-ish on a one-off fast motorway run but in real-life use, nowhere near.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Business users need to claim for milleage, often on several different accounts. Do any modern, computer-laden models have trip/account/download milleage claim capability?

I take all my mileage from Google maps when doing my expenses. It's near enough what my car says and it's hard for the expense Nazi's to argue (not that it's ever been questioned).

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have my average mpg showing on the dash all the time, but I never calculate it manually. It was always at about 45mpg but since I got my wheels aligned it now sits at 49-50mpg. Usually mixed driving. On a run up to the lakes and back I got 64mpg so was happy with that. I do try and drive economically but through town or stop-start there is a need to keep the revs high so the DPF doesn't clog up

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The secret to fuel economy is in knowing that the car uses NO fuel if it's in gear, moving, but your foot is off the accelerator. Anticipate junctions and traffic lights (where possible) and don't drive close to the car in front. Braking is scrubbing off speed you've paid for.

Alex321

Veteran
I have my average mpg showing on the dash all the time, but I never calculate it manually. It was always at about 45mpg but since I got my wheels aligned it now sits at 49-50mpg. Usually mixed driving. On a run up to the lakes and back I got 64mpg so was happy with that. I do try and drive economically but through town or stop-start there is a need to keep the revs high so the DPF doesn't clog up

That is only true if all you are doing is stop/start or low rev driving. If you do a decent run on open roads reasonably often (40mph+ for 10-30 minutes depending on the car), then you should have no need to worry about it.

tyred

Legendary Member
Seems to work out at around 65mpg in a 2006 1 litre Yaris. The computer reads slightly more. I think Toyota say it should average 52 in mixed driving so I must be doing something right.

In similar driving I got high 50s from a 1.1 205. The Skoda 1.2 struggled to better low 40s no matter how I drove it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SO's "new" automatic Jimny is doing just over 30mpg. Considering that she is learning to drive (lots of town driving and parking), the aircon has been used relentlessly, and the official mpg is a paltry 38 (aerodynamically, it's a brick), that's really not bad.

The acid test will be going to Swansea for her driving test. 230 miles of M4 at 60mph should just about scrape the official figure.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’ve just completed a 121 mile journey home from the Highlands again, mostly twisty, rural roads and the display showed 92.2mpg average. (At the 100 mile mark it was showing 95mpg.)

Fuel used appears to be 6.05 litres, so actual consumption would be 90.97mpg. That was a car with two adults and a full boot.

CXRAndy

Guru
I’ve just completed a 121 mile journey home from the Highlands again, mostly twisty, rural roads and the display showed 92.2mpg average. (At the 100 mile mark it was showing 95mpg.)

Fuel used appears to be 6.05 litres, so actual consumption would be 90.97mpg. That was a car with two adults and a full boot.

What vehicle and engine?

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Honestly, I never achieve anything like the figures I have read on various forums for any vehicle I have owned.

Our current car has averaged 35.2mpg in 3660 miles in one year of ownership.

I go on VW forums and other owners are seemingly averaging 50-60 +.

I can get to 50-ish on a one-off fast motorway run but in real-life use, nowhere near.

The TCross being a crossover, small SUV ? I'd be guessing here but probably like many cars of that ilk, Tucson, Sportive, CX5 etc etc, the high frontal area nd extra weight compared to a 'normal car surely inevitably means fuel economy is going to be worse than a 'normal car.
My Mazda 3 easily achieves 55mpg if driven sensibly and I'd love (my wife is really pushing for on) a CX5 but unless you get the higher specced (and inevitably more expensive) turbo diesels, you're never going to get the economy. If people are quoting 50 to 60 mpg, surely they're driving the top of the range engine versions.

Top Bottom