Real world fuel economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
2.5 TDI...

No petrol, however my old E36 325tds gave about 40

I have a friend who has a Range Rover Sport SVR 5.0 with about 570bhp and he is adamant that he gets over 50mpg 'on a run'. People poke fun at him about this which he accepts with a good heart to be fair.

Went to Lancaster in it last year with him and it averaged 19mpg on the 70 mile round trip.

"Not a long enough run to get a decent mpg" was the reason given.
Quite a few years ago (mid-late 90s) l had a 90CSW-V8, it was a genuine factory build, with the twin SU carbs
That could quite easily see 10MPG at points!

Even when later converted to LPG, it was dire
I remember towing the BWSOW of the time (twin-axle Swift) to Keswick, up the A65, it recording the equivalent of 8MPG (allowing for the price conversion between LPG & unleaded)

mustang1

Legendary Member
@rogerzilla I'm not sure about marketing from far Eastern brands. I don't think they do it nearly as well as Europeans and Americans who study marketing, advertising, psychology on how to sell.

Ps I was wondering what was clever about the sky active engine.

The Kodiaqs onboard display (screen) gives me an average MPG of 51.3, since its last reset about 2,700 miles ago

Its predecessor, a 2011 Octavia (1.6TDi, remapped) once gave me (as displayed), 79.1MPG
(photo somewhere in the Skoda thread)

That was on a trip, down the M1, to East Midlands Airport
Infinitely better than the CH-R that SWMBO owned

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
@rogerzilla I'm not sure about marketing from far Eastern brands. I don't think they do it nearly as well as Europeans and Americans who study marketing, advertising, psychology on how to sell.

SkyActiv-X uses a kind of compression ignition. It's a bit like stratified direct injection, but more extreme. Basically, the cylinder gets a homogenous weak mixture and then a tiny pulse of stronger mixture around the spark plug is ignited to make the whole lot pop at once (it's on the verge of detonation by this point).

It works - 60mpg on a run from a 182bhp petrol car.

I have every fuel receipt and relative mileage for my car for the past 11 years and 11 months. I really should stick it all on a spreadsheet
May i recommend the “Dull Men’s Club” on Facebook? They’d welcome you with open arms for that

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
May i recommend the “Dull Men’s Club” on Facebook? They’d welcome you with open arms for that

Oh crikey!

I have kept a tally of my miles driven since I passed my test in 1975 aged 18 going on 19.

To the end of 2022 it was 1,034,000 miles.

Average 22000 miles pa.

Peak, 178,000 miles in 2 years 11 months from Nov 1997.

Seriously dull I guess!

simongt

Guru
Despite the UK beginning to sell road fuel in litres on the 1980s, and officially switching in 1995, note that pretty much all the posters have quoted their respective fuel economy in mpg.
How quaint - ! :laugh:
For the record, our '58 plate Hyundai 1.30 does an average of 11mpl. :okay:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member

Mazdas SkyActive is actually relates to a 'suite' of design features across the car rather than just the engine.
But, high compression is one of the major features of the engine.
https://www.carthrottle.com/news/what-heck-skyactiv

Being non turbo helps with reliability, 2 litre is apparently the ideal capacity for a 4 cylinder engine, it allows the optimum stroke to be used, etc etc.

Top Bottom