Real world fuel economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Despite the UK beginning to sell road fuel in litres on the 1980s, and officially switching in 1995, note that pretty much all the posters have quoted their respective fuel economy in mpg.
How quaint - ! :laugh:
For the record, our '58 plate Hyundai 1.30 does an average of 11mpl. :okay:
Isn’t that because they tried to convert us to litres/100Km and it fried our brains?

Drago

Legendary Member
Despite the UK beginning to sell road fuel in litres on the 1980s, and officially switching in 1995, note that pretty much all the posters have quoted their respective fuel economy in mpg.
How quaint - ! :laugh:
For the record, our '58 plate Hyundai 1.30 does an average of 11mpl. :okay:

One of this newfangled continental rubbish for me, thank you very much. My car does 12 & 13/25ths fathoms to the bushel.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
We still very much use miles for roads, and miles per litre is an insufficiently large number - you need decimals.

A lot of the reason for the UK's odd mixture of preferred units is to get numbers in a nice manageable range. Kilometres are too small and kilograms are too large for some things. Luckily a ton and a tonne are virtually the same!

simongt

Guru
Isn’t that because they tried to convert us to litres/100Km and it fried our brains?
This is what makes the fuel consumption issues so daft. In 'official' figures; i.e., what tends to be quoted in car performance data, consumption is still given either in mpg; we haven't bought fuel in gallons for well over twenty years, or in litres /100 kilometres; we don't measure distance in the UK in kilometres.
Thus both are useless without having to do a conversion. :wacko:
It's hardly techno science to be able to produce consumption in miles / litre is it - ? :laugh:

Reactions: gbb

simongt

Guru
Or to sell petrol in gallons.
Or go the whole traditional hog and insist on buying your petrol in pecks or bushels - ! :rofl:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My Honda Jazz hybrid's dashboard read out is about 1% over optimistic compared to doing a brim-full to brim-full old school calculation. The last 15,000 miles shows just over 73 mpg so that works out at just over 72 mpg. (Closer to 78 mpg in summer.) The manufacturer's estimate was 54 mpg, which indicates that I'm an economy-minded driver with a touch of hypermiling involved.

Top Bottom