Real world fuel economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
VW T.Cross 110.

Just back from a few days in York and environs - just under 300 miles driven and average 42.1mpg.

A bit better than our normal driving mpg - a few miles each way to the shops a couple of times a week and 10-20 miles each way for non-local walks most weeks

I'm really surprised the figures are so low for the 1.0.

Although not a million miles off I'd have expected 40 odd round town and 50+ on a run.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm really surprised the figures are so low for the 1.0.

Although not a million miles off I'd have expected 40 odd round town and 50+ on a run.

It's a surprisingly nippy small car, comes with either a 110bhp or 95bhp 1 litre 3 pot.

Ours is the 110bhp version which is more than enough to hustle it along quickly. Not much difference in the 2 versions economy-wise AFAIK.

More torque + 6 speed box in ours which pulls well from low down.

I tend to drive fairly quickly and Mrs SD a bit more sedately and she gets a bit more economy than I do.

Tbh, I'm not too bothered about fuel costs as we do such a low annual mileage these days.

I guess I could do better but I really don't want to be plodding along at say 56mpg on a lightly trafficked M'Way etc.

I do find some v.high mpg figures very hard to believe on the VW forums - they must really take some working at esp' if they include any short-distance journeys.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I guess I could do better but I really don't want to be plodding along at say 56mpg on a lightly trafficked M'Way etc.

I do find some v.high mpg figures very hard to believe on the VW forums - they must really take some working at esp' if they include any short-distance journeys.
I suspect many have never calculated the real consumption, either believe the computer...or the headline advertised figure's.
My daughter has a 19 plate Tucson, 1.5 turbo petrol. It achieves 45 mpg at a push according to its computer readout.

I realise I've become far too tight fisted to buy a crossover/SUV, I wouldn't sleep at night thinging about the fuel economy :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I suspect many have never calculated the real consumption, either believe the computer...or the headline advertised figure's.
My daughter has a 19 plate Tucson, 1.5 turbo petrol. It achieves 45 mpg at a push according to its computer readout.

I realise I've become far too tight fisted to buy a crossover/SUV, I wouldn't sleep at night thinging about the fuel economy :smile:

I have a friend who has a Range Rover Sport SVR 5.0 with about 570bhp and he is adamant that he gets over 50mpg 'on a run'. People poke fun at him about this which he accepts with a good heart to be fair.

Went to Lancaster in it last year with him and it averaged 19mpg on the 70 mile round trip.

"Not a long enough run to get a decent mpg" was the reason given.

presta

Guru
Honda claimed my 1986 Accord (2L fuel injected) would do:
28.0 on Urban Cycle
46.3 at 56mph
35.8 at 75mph

I got 33.6mpg and 36.3mpg averaged over a couple of whole years, >90% of which was fellwalking trips, so mainly motorway and mountains with the aircon running.

Jameshow

Veteran
VW T.Cross 110.

Just back from a few days in York and environs - just under 300 miles driven and average 42.1mpg.

A bit better than our normal driving mpg - a few miles each way to the shops a couple of times a week and 10-20 miles each way for non-local walks most weeks

Small engine and big car so probably working it relatively hard?

Jody

Stubborn git
I have a friend who has a Range Rover Sport SVR 5.0 with about 570bhp and he is adamant that he gets over 50mpg 'on a run'. People poke fun at him about this which he accepts with a good heart to be fair.

Went to Lancaster in it last year with him and it averaged 19mpg on the 70 mile round trip.

He did well getting 19!

Jody

Stubborn git
Small engine and big car so probably working it relatively hard?

Kind of. It's only a golf size floor pan so it's not too big but they are stressed more than the larger engines if deiven on boost a lot.

Gillstay

Über Member
I have a Toyota Auris petrol 1.6 and should do a max of 48 mpg.

Watching speed , driving smoothly, leaving the back seat at home, no extra weight and eco tyres means I can reach 56mpg.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member

A friend of ours had a 2007 Range Rover, BMW engine i gather. He came to the conclusion he could eak 24 mpg driving carefully...and 23 mpg if he drove it without worrying about economy. So he drove it and didn't worry

Gunk

Guru
A friend of ours had a 2007 Range Rover, BMW engine i gather. He came to the conclusion he could eak 24 mpg driving carefully...and 23 mpg if he drove it without worrying about economy. So he drove it and didn't worry

I’d be happy with 23mpg, our old BMW e91 325i touring only averaged 25

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran

I had a guy pick up my sons horsebox (long story) he was using his Mrs SVR whilst his double cab was in garage, he said it wasn't worth working (car deliveries) with the svr as the fuel economy was so bad. But it was his wife's purchase!!

Top Bottom