Real world fuel economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Recently traded the 160hp 9 speed auto-box, express-train luxo campervan (34mpg) for a caravan that was too big to pull behind the 50mpg+ Duster.
In a rush of romantic blood to the head, we also bought a VW camper to pull it, sell the Duster and Wimpers use the VW when the C1 runabout is at the airport.
With me so far?

So last Sunday we left early for brekkie in the VW at Porlock Weir - Wimpers at the wheel (her van now apparently). It had 37mpg on the clock when we left home and 32mpg when we got to Porlock. On pretty much the same route I had 28mpg pulling 1.5 tonnes of caravan!
Needless to say, I drove home over the same route and it was back to 38mpg and still climbing when we got home. Wasn't crawling, but (as I pay the fuel bill) and as @rogerzilla stated upthread, a small adjustment to driving style makes an impact.

20230910_104648.jpg

20230910_100003.jpg

IMG-20230910-WA0001.jpg

The brekkie test-run went OK....

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't buy it in gallons or litres but by the £. I look at how much I've paid not the units it came in.
I did see a ppm figure quoted for a new car the other day and it seems just as valid for real world costs. So yesterday's fill up - 36.69 litres @ £1.489 = £54.63 gives me a projected range of 630 miles. This works out as 8.7 pence per mile. I've given the projected range because I've mislaid the previous receipt; in the real world it'll be closer to 600 miles range, so 9.1ppm.

albion

Guru
The Banana Team.

Gillstay

Über Member
My Honda Jazz hybrid's dashboard read out is about 1% over optimistic compared to doing a brim-full to brim-full old school calculation. The last 15,000 miles shows just over 73 mpg so that works out at just over 72 mpg. (Closer to 78 mpg in summer.) The manufacturer's estimate was 54 mpg, which indicates that I'm an economy-minded driver with a touch of hypermiling involved.

Good effort.

Gunk

Guru
Recently traded the 160hp 9 speed auto-box, express-train luxo campervan (34mpg) for a caravan that was too big to pull behind the 50mpg+ Duster.
In a rush of romantic blood to the head, we also bought a VW camper to pull it, sell the Duster and Wimpers use the VW when the C1 runabout is at the airport.
With me so far?

So last Sunday we left early for brekkie in the VW at Porlock Weir - Wimpers at the wheel (her van now apparently). It had 37mpg on the clock when we left home and 32mpg when we got to Porlock. On pretty much the same route I had 28mpg pulling 1.5 tonnes of caravan!
Needless to say, I drove home over the same route and it was back to 38mpg and still climbing when we got home. Wasn't crawling, but (as I pay the fuel bill) and as @rogerzilla stated upthread, a small adjustment to driving style makes an impact.

View attachment 706516

View attachment 706517

View attachment 706518

The brekkie test-run went OK....

I’m sure that’s quite good fun, but I’ll stick to holiday cottages

Top Bottom