Broken Femur - what happened?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Feckin Eck !
All i can add is my thoughts and wishing you a speedy recovery .

D

Deleted member 1258

Agree with Vamp: It sounds like the chain shipped at the front, that would potentially jam the cranks instantly, what happened at the back is just the result of the accident.

What speed were you doing when it jammed?

And I have no wish to know how painful a broken femur is.

I agree with Crackle and Vamp, it all started on the front, maybe a problem with the change to the big ring, its difficult to tell from the pictures but has the chain dropped down between the rings?
As others have said get well soon.

I think thats an RD-C600 which is reverse sprung. Techdocs sugest that it indexed from large cog hence pulling in.

OP
OP
Herzog

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I think thats an RD-C600 which is reverse sprung. Techdocs sugest that it indexed from large cog hence pulling in.

Interesting, so a rear mech failure (of some sort) would cause it to plunge towards to hub, shifting the chain into the gap between hub and largest cog, resulting in a locked wheel. I don't have the bike to check the spec, but I remember it was Shimano 600 series throughout.

Thanks for the GWS wishes. Just started to walk again around my hospital room, 5m is the record... Got a feeling my season is over :sad: Intervals now mean a totally different thing! I wonder if I could draft another recovering patient down the corridor to better this...

Also, my resting heart rate is now constantly around 80-90, whereas before it was usually around 42-45. The accident was only a week ago, so I won't have lost that much fitness yet...presumably this increase it due to the drugs!

DWiggy

Über Member
Could the wheel have buckled (looks buckled) locking the rear wheel and in the confusion of the fish tail the gears got knocked? (just an idea)

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not got a clue but would mark it down to one of those 1 in 1000 chances, well I would just to make sure I got back on the bike!

GWS, bummer for the season, even more of a bummer is the delay before you can saddle up again.

Seeing as you were going down hill no chance the RD went too far across?

Maybe ask if the freehub is in one piece still, mine broke away under load yesterday.

Not to put too finer point on it but the bike doesn't look like it would have been used to Ditchling hill repeats under heavy watts! ^_^ GWS again..

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Also, my resting heart rate is now constantly around 80-90, whereas before it was usually around 42-45. The accident was only a week ago, so I won't have lost that much fitness yet...presumably this increase it due to the drugs!
When I broke my femur my RHR went up from c.50 to c.70, and stayed there for months. Even when I came off the painkillers, it remained high. I assumed that it was caused by the body working harder than usual to heal itself. It's only in the last few weeks (6 months and 1,000 miles of riding post-accident) that it's gone down to normal levels.

OP
OP
Herzog

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Not to put too finer point on it but the bike doesn't look like it would have been used to Ditchling hill repeats under heavy watts! ^_^ GWS again..

Yep, it was borrowed whilst I was over in the UK on holiday... perhaps gentle tootling around may have been more its thing.

OP
OP
Herzog

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
When I broke my femur my RHR went up from c.50 to c.70, and stayed there for months. Even when I came off the painkillers, it remained high. I assumed that it was caused by the body working harder than usual to heal itself. It's only in the last few weeks (6 months and 1,000 miles of riding post-accident) that it's gone down to normal levels.

Glad I'm not unusual then! Braking a femur is worse than childbirth apparently. It was for me, my wife's labor only lasted 5 hours...

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Indeed - get well soon!
Sorry to hear that your experience of the NHS was bad - make sure you write a letter with as many specific examples as you can, because your complaint will be investigated and you will get a response.
As for your resting heart rate - this will increase considerably if you have any pain, and even if you are pain free the healing process will be working overtime to start mending your femur and this will increase your metabolism.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Really sorry to hear about this Herzog.

Wishing you an uninterrupted, (and as speedy as a femur can be) recovery :hugs:

e-rider

crappy member
you must have been so brave.......risking a visit to a NHS hospital!!! Surprised they didn't recommend breaking the other femur to match, and give you a dose of MRSA free of charge

you'll be trying a NHS dentist next - you can get all your teeth removed for under £100

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Everytime I come into this thread, I shudder! :ohmy:
Hope it heals up cleanly and in good time :thumbsup:

Reckon I'll get a chill down my spine, the next time I ride down there...

Top Bottom