Broken hip update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
Only one nobber likes your post so far.:laugh:
3 and counting ^_^

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Think yourself lucky you didn't have a break like I had,

just to give you some idea of what they did to try to repair my leg/hip

View: https://youtu.be/cHd7afhOOqU

I've now got something like this holding my leg together,

View: https://youtu.be/E-Y7g5sJw1E

It's the use of 'self tapping' screws that gets to me. :ohmy:

Mine is quite an odd break according to the consultant. He showed me the break from the x ray taken but i couldn't see any difference between the affected hip and the other one.How did you break yours and how long was it before you could walk or ride a bike again?

Think yourself lucky you didn't have a break like I had,

just to give you some idea of what they did to try to repair my leg/hip

View: https://youtu.be/cHd7afhOOqU

I've now got something like this holding my leg together,

View: https://youtu.be/E-Y7g5sJw1Ei

It's the use of 'self tapping' screws that gets to me. :ohmy:

The technical expertise required of orthopedic surgeons is extreme and I have huge respect for them. Putting those screws in place once the rod (nail) is inserted is like hitting a bulls eye with a dart in a dark room after your friends have spun you around ten times. And then the timing of the procedure - a week too soon or too late and the wrong type of healing has already taken place and the procedure is doomed. And then to gauge it from a one-dimensional monochrome X-Ray picture...Wow.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Mine is quite an odd break according to the consultant. He showed me the break from the x ray taken but i couldn't see any difference between the affected hip and the other one.How did you break yours and how long was it before you could walk or ride a bike again?
I fell over at work and landed on a pallet truck, Femur snapped into 3 pieces at the point of impact (and before anyone thinks 'Compensation' I cannot blame the company, it was my own fault)
As for healing, for the first 8 months it didn't so they removed the first intramedullary 'Nail' and fitted a bigger one that was strong enough to allow me to go 'full weight bearing' straight away on it. I also packed in cigarettes and booze for 3 months after the 2nd operation although luckily I'd reduced my alcohol 'intake' roughly 2yrs pre accident from stupid quantities to merely 'a lot' (previously I could have kept up with Vernon)
It's now nearly 3yrs since the accident and I'm still not that mobile and if I overdo things it nackers me for a couple of days.
Cycling, well I went from regularly riding 100 miles in a day on a fully loaded tourer to not being able to get on a bike for 8 months until I bought the trike for physiotherapy and I mainly use that still although I've been slowly getting back on to 2 wheels but 20 miles is my limit these days and walking is roughly 1/2 a mile before the pain gets too much.
1 piece of advice I was given and I'll pass on is not to 'limp' though as once your body learns how to you then need to unlearn it so try to walk as normally as you can even if it is slowly (and with crutches)

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Broke the neck of my left femur in a tumble from the Brompton in July 2012. No other vehicle involved.

Pinned with canulated screws etc. Week post op in hospital then five more non weight bearing on crutches. Back on bike in September, sooner than consultant advised. Initially surreptitiously on a 'Boris Bike' after trying bus/tube twice. Dobbed myself in by arriving home with trouser leg tucked in sock - my alternative to cycle clips.

Whoever said don't start to limp is right. I'd actually got that habit thirty years earlier after knacking a knee by riding in too high a gear and limped some more on account of the hip. Now have two limps and my daughter calls me Hobbles!

Also took out my collar bone - that recovered naturally but was far more painful than the surgery.

Within 6 months I could do anything I was doing before. Only side effect apart from pesky limp is left hip/thigh tends to cramp when driving long distances.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
All I can offer is sympathy and a word of warning about spinach.

I broke my pelvis (racing somebody half my age, hit a wet manhole cover, whoops!) and had to avoid putting weight on it for nine weeks. It was painful. Damn painful. And one of the ortho consultants said 'eat spinach'. So I did. Lots. My poo turned green. And the next ortho consultant said 'oh, spinach, it does no good whatsoever, he's always banging on about it, but it's really a waste of time'. By which time I had become very, very fond of spinach.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
All I can offer is sympathy and a word of warning about spinach.

I broke my pelvis (racing somebody half my age, hit a wet manhole cover, whoops!) and had to avoid putting weight on it for nine weeks. It was painful. Damn painful. And one of the ortho consultants said 'eat spinach'. So I did. Lots. My poo turned green. And the next ortho consultant said 'oh, spinach, it does no good whatsoever, he's always banging on about it, but it's really a waste of time'. By which time I had become very, very fond of spinach.
You are Popeye AICMFP. ^_^

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4490541, member: 9609"]@Accy cyclist - how are you managing with this and work ? I take it you're off the bike as well[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE 4490541, member: 9609"]@Accy cyclist - how are you managing with this and work ? I take it you're off the bike as well[/QUOTE]

I haven't worked for over 5 weeks. I'm on my last day of insurance pay out then i'll have to claim short term disability. I've sent the form in. I'd love to go back to work as i miss the money and the sense of purpose. but to climb a ladder would be crazy at the moment! I just hope that window cleaner sniffing round for business has a sense of fair play and doesn't try and nick my customers (for his sake as well as mine). I'm keeping sane by trying to think positive but it's not easy. As for cycling, i go for little rides around the block and the local park, taking it easy. It's ok them saying don't do anything for 2 months but depression is worse than broken bones, you have to keep a lid on it somehow.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm getting totally pissed off now! I saw the consultant on Thursday.He said the blood supply to the break seems to be ok so i wont need a hip replacement as far as he can see. However he said this will take months even years to mend fully. I haven't received a penny in financial support. My business will be going tits up soon, I saw some of the cycling club on Wednesday. They actually asked me to sign a card for one of the members who's broken her shoulder while on a cycling holiday in Spain. "Where's my card for my broken bones"? i asked. "Oh we didn't think you'd be bothered" one of the idiots replied. That old git who knocked me off has more or less rendered me disabled for the foreseeable future if not for life. He's also made sure i'll lose my business and have to reply on shitty benefits for the foreseeable future if not for life! Do you think i should put a message about how i feel on the club's news site. Or just leave it and seethe? I don't think i want to go out with them again, so i've nothing to lose.

Top Bottom