bromptom design

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Removable pedals rather than folding ones e.g. like the MKS EZY ones so you can remove and/or swap from flats to spds in seconds
Permanent fixture luggage block
Hub dyno with hub brake
6- or 8-speed rear hub with hub brake
Ergon Grips
Tricky one... rear mounted back light that isn't a foot off the floor and aimed at a car number plate.
Decent non-spinning clamp handles
Are you me in disguise ;)

Good call on the light too. I do wonder if they could build aa decent one into the rear of the saddle as I don't see many Brommys with a saddle pack.

I have a Volt 50 mounted right up the seatpost, it doesn't bother the fold and I'm not a flappy tail jacket wearer.

Lonestar

Veteran
Changing the front light for one with a standlight in and I find 2 wires are hardwired into the light .Four connectors naturally are fitted to the new and old front light.So I try and get into the front light,which I eventually do (wrecking it in the process) to find it's wired into the circuit board.So now I have to wait for new connectors till I can wire the new light in.Arrrrrrgh.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Changing the front light for one with a standlight in and I find 2 wires are hardwired into the light .Four connectors naturally are fitted to the new and old front light.So I try and get into the front light,which I eventually do (wrecking it in the process) to find it's wired into the circuit board.So now I have to wait for new connectors till I can wire the new light in.Arrrrrrgh.
Mine has a standlight with the SON dynamo option ....

Lonestar

Veteran

Lonestar

Veteran
Now wired in front stand light and it works fine with the back stand light.That Shimano connector is well tricky.Will probably update the connectors at a later date.

Kell

Veteran
ANyone got any suggestions for my SPD pedal question? I want the two sided type though, so I can cycle with trainers too. I have found these but they are SPD only
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/pedals/product/review-mks-cube-ezy-pedal-32139/

I've just seen some platforms that clip on to your SPDs and turn them into 'normal' pedals. They were advertised on one of those Facebook ads, but I now can't find them.

They clip on by hand, then you can twist them off with your normal shoes.

Kell

Veteran
In fact, here they are...

518PWIbbckL._SX450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winwood-Decksters-Platform-Clip-Ons-without/dp/B001C6BJGK

Cheaper version are available.

bbb_bdp-90-feetrest.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bpd-90-feetrest-spd-pedal-adaptors/

12boy

Guru
The changes I would like to see are:
A chain tensioner that is attached to the dropout so as to stay one when I remove the rear wheel.
Brakes with a QR so as to be able to take a wheel on and off without deflating it.
The option of using a 1 1/8 inch stem or a bar holder with a removable face plate so as to pull the bar without taking everything off one side.
Easily replaceable bushings for the hinges so I could get it re-powdercoated without out undue hassle. I must be abusive because the paint on the chainstays is pretty rough now.
Would love one of the 1200 gram SA 5 speeds as an option.
first time visiting this site, very interesting.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The changes I would like to see are:
A chain tensioner that is attached to the dropout so as to stay one when I remove the rear wheel.
Brakes with a QR so as to be able to take a wheel on and off without deflating it.
The option of using a 1 1/8 inch stem or a bar holder with a removable face plate so as to pull the bar without taking everything off one side.
Easily replaceable bushings for the hinges so I could get it re-powdercoated without out undue hassle. I must be abusive because the paint on the chainstays is pretty rough now.
Would love one of the 1200 gram SA 5 speeds as an option.
first time visiting this site, very interesting.
Welcome!
Oh, and great first contribution ....

Brains

Legendary Member
  • Kick stand
  • Dynamo as standard (I know they are for the German market) one of my mistakes on ordering mine, that I did not bother.
  • A decent front light, the current Brompton battery one is so badly designed, that there are many out there better (and cheaper)
  • Hub gears, Rohloff style, mine is the 6 gear version, and I still have not got to grips with the two levers.
  • The frame to 'click' together, rather than the fiddley doing up the thumbscrews
  • both pedals to fold as standard,
  • Pedals not to over-fold thereby damaging the paintwork
  • SPD folding pedals as an option
  • I've seen Bromptons with an after-market seat tube with built in rear LED lights, sooooo much better.
  • Some sort of carry handle that fits around the frame above the pedals (and would protect the frame), possibly with a shoulder strap
  • A proper 'Dutch' type of bell, not the useless built in pinger (over-engineered indulgence)
  • A speedo/milometer that works (anyone ever found one that does ????)
  • Anyone know of a site that sell 'all' the after-market Brompton options, like the leather handgrips and the lightweight wheels etc ?
  • A recommended lock, that fits on the bike ?
  • A higher quality pump, a touring track pump type, that can get to the 100 PSI required (could be built into the seat post, like on a Birdy )
  • The ability to fix a rear wheel puncture as easily as on a normal bike (My local LBS changes £15 for all bikes except Bromptons, which are £25)
  • A wheeled travelling case that can easily be carried on the bike

Top Bottom