1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brompton 2017 bikes new features

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by chris folder, 18 Sep 2016.

Tags:
  1. chris folder

chris folder Active Member

Hi :hello: on you tube video showing new 2017 bikes with new gear shifters design on them. Don't no how to post video link but it's on you tube video called. Brompton black edition 2017 arrived at de bromptonwinkel amersfoort and we give a quick go

Last edited: 18 Sep 2016
    Cycleops and Roxy641 like this.
  2. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded. Staff Member

View: https://youtu.be/CN0ERGXJpqQ

3. chris folder

Hi yep that's the video:okay:

4. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

And in English....? What's new (for someone who is getting more tempted by a Brompton... I love the look, but I still need to have a go on one).

And why is it called the black edition?

Roxy641 likes this.
  5. chris folder

Hi :smile: it's called black edition because most of the components on the bike are all black wheel rims and seat post stem etc but now there mixing colours like different frame colour to the black it's not really a black edition so much it started all black the bike

Roxy641 and summerdays like this.
  6. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

It's a bit disappointing if that's all the R&D people could come up with. Where's the model with 20" wheels? Can they continue to ride on their past success? I don't know but with much more exciting and innovative models coming out from rivals I'm sure questions are being asked in the boardroom. The spectre of Nokia and Blackberry must be haunting them.

TrishnBonnie likes this.
  7. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

Backwards compatibility still appears to dominate their thinking.

8. Oxo

Oxo Veteran

I just bought a Brompton, not because it is exciting or innovative but because it's tried, tested and just does what I want it to do.

9. Somehow I seriously doubt this. Brompton's production continues to grow and there is no sign yet of weakening demand. Remember >80% of production goes to export markets. I can't see Brexit making a dent in that. Whatever innovations other companies are exploring, Brompton's design meets a certain brief no one else seems seriously interested in competing with. They not only occupy a niche, they dominate it.

10. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

And, in China, I'm told they've given up faking them and buy the real thing now.

11. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded. Staff Member

Perhaps we will get an E-Brompton at some point.

I have to say the changes is the shifters is quite disappointing. I only got mine a few months ago and i certainly won't be requesting an upgrade for those.

Melvil likes this.
  12. Brompton says the e-Brompton will happen,but haven't said when.

Yep, some of the upgrades are worth it, some aren't. The brake levers a few years ago totally were.

13. Kell

Kell Senior Member

It's about time. While I've got my shifters working nicely now, they're properly aniquated.

Maybe these ones will rattle a little less too.

Cycleops likes this.
  14. doginabag

doginabag Active Member

Maybe they thought of it and decided there is no need?
    Having come from a20" wheeled folding bike to a Brompton, I have no desire to have a larger wheeled version.

the_mikey and Blue Hills like this.
  15. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

what I'd like is a standard width rear triangle giving you a choice of various Shimano hubs, rather than the crappy plastic derailler 2 speed thing x 3 speed hub

Dogtrousers, Cycleops and Kell like this.